Need help...XP trial ran out...installing linux but don't know how to partition.....

dude_56013

Fully Optimized
I guess the topic is quite self-explanatory but anywho....

Okay so I thought I had XP running good and all since my friend said it was all set and ready and that he found a way around buying it again to install to my second computer....well turns out he hacked XP but only visually so that it says that it is already registered...so basically I'm fuc....well you know the rest....

So now I am going to install linux so that I have a working computer and can use my files....Right now I'm on the internet with the Live CD of KUBUNTU that I made on my extra computer and I like it a lot...however I thought that you could access your HDD on the LIVECD but I was wrong!!!.....So I have some questions...:

Okay so this is what knowledge I need from you very fine folks here....

1.) Can I access my files from my HDD (partition 1) if I make a second partition to run Kubuntu?....like as in if I'm running Kubuntu from the second partition or what not...can I still access my files that are the first partition with all the Windows files? Because I have like 10GB of music on there and about 10GB of video and if I had an extra HDD it wouldn't be an issue because I would just throw it on there, but I don't and I don't want to lose that 20GB of data....I don't, however, have any life threatening important stuff on here so if something (God-forbid) WOULD happen to it...it wouldn't be the end of the world but I'd get pretty P-O'd

2) I am mainly here because this will be my first time using/installing linux and I haven't a clue what I'm doing.....I tried reading the Sticky on this but it wasn't very straight-forward, as all situations ARE different.....

2.1) Does KUBUNTU have a graphical installer..? because I think my main problem would be a hard install...I know ZERO linux code....I've been a windows guy till now...but I've always wanted to make the switch so that Bill Gates can stop getting rich off me....

2.2) Does Fedora or ForeSight have graphical installers? because if Kubuntu doesnt then those are my next choices.....

3) I'm going to have to shrink the main partition with the windows and my personal files on it and then create another partition to install linux...problem is...I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO DO THIS DURING LINUX INSTALL WITHOUT ERASING THE ENTIRE HDD...and I guess thats my main problem....so if it's easy to partition using graphical install...just say so and I'll give it a go....but if not....my computer skills end at Windows so I have no clue how to partition for Linux....

Hopefully you all can use your good 'ol noggins and help me out on this one...until then...im stuck with my piece of crap dell....blah!!!!

Thanks a TON!
Zac

EDIT:
Ok wow so I was just crappin around in the live Kubuntu and I guess you CAN partition right from there...so that solves a few of my misfortunes......so I will resize the windows partition down do like 90 gigs which will leave 50 gigs free in there and then 208 gb free to create more partitions......I'm eventually going to multi-boot with probably 3 different versions of linux and then XP and I need to leave room for VISTA which I may get way way way later down the road......so...how big should I make the partitions and what format do the linux partitions need to be in?

Also...when someone answers this about the way above and the edit question.....I still will not know how to direct the linux install(s) to the other partitions...so I'll need some guidance there....

Thanks again...

1) yes, i installed ubuntu on a new partition (i used the partition manager during the install) and i could access my xp partition perfectly fine
2)i dont know kbuntu, but ubuntu does have a graphical installer and i have no reason to believe this doesnt
3)the partition manager allows you to resize the partitions

as for installing linux its pretty much self explanatory. im pretty much a linux n00b and i did it without instructions, its quite simular to installing xp, you just get a load of screens and you choose a few options, easy enough

kubuntu also has a graphical installer. It's very simple to use.
Also you might have to mount the ntfs partition before you can access it.

ok guys/girls...using multiple forums and google I have successfully installed Kubuntu!! It was way easier than I thought...I guess I was just a bit nervous about some of the Linux rumors out there....I guess using the live cd DIDN'T partition my HDD even though it made it look that way...however it was very straight-forward in the installation...

so far I love linux...especially because it is free...it's not too different from windows and atleast I don't have to flush my money down the bill gates toilet for xp or vista.....it takes a bit to get used to but overall it's great until I can get xp or vista installed in a few months..I'm going to now install foresight and fedora and see which I like the best and then maybe I'll post back since I'm a total linux noob...maybe it will help someone else that is new to Linux...can't wait to see how big the jump is from Kubuntu as a KDE desktop to Fedora as a GNOME desktop....

Thanks

Zac

Back
Top Bottom