Building a Budget PC

schmoey

Beta member
Hi everyone, I'm building my own budget PC right now and I wanted some input/feedback. Here's my ideal build at the moment:

Mobo: Asus M2V-MX VIA K8M8890
CPU: Athlon X2 3600+ 1.9GHz (Brisbane)
RAM: Crucial 1GB PC2-5300 DDR2-667
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 80GB SATA II 8MB
DVD: LG 18x DVD Dual Layer
Case: Generic Case w/ 400W PSU

With some generic keyboard and mouse, it'll all come to around $300 (CAD) before taxes. Might have to stick in a fan or two if it gets too hot I guess.

It's gonna be an everyday use computer with some light gaming maybe - nothing heavy, nothing fancy.

Any problems/concerns that can be seen from this build? Comments - good/bad?

Thanks a lot! :)

It would be highly advisable to get a video card since the onboard video on that motherboard is really.. below par, even for integrated standards. Also, you need an operating system. Heat shouldn't be an issue for this build though.

A cheap video card that could go well with that rig is a 7300GT

Eh, it'll work as long as you don't get into games on the level of HL2 and stuff, you'll start suffering there, even on lower settings.

Yeah, the computer's meant to be sort of like a home office - like I said, nothing fancy. Any Ggming for me would probably mean a bunch of basic 2D stuff. I guess I don't really have to worry about Vista problems too much cuz I'll be running XP.

I'm quite the cheap guy, so I think i'll just stick to the DDR2-667 (it's on sale right now for $30), and not invest in a video card either ^^"

Define "below-par" for the K8M890 chipset.. what can I get away with, and what can I not? Because if the graphics concerns for the VIA K8M890 are mainly gaming concerns, I might just stick with the first board since I honestly won't really be gaming, and it apparently has slightly better OC flexibility than the latter.

Well, it'll be able to run 2D side scroller games that are available and older games like Age of Empires, Starcraft, and Counterstrike (though CS might experience very noticeable FPS drops).

Its compatible, a nice budget PC but as kchi said don't plan on intense gaming.
your not using vista so a gig should cut it.

Looks good, nice little dual core. Should be a nice office PC.

Back
Top Bottom