external hardrive and itunes

34spoon

Beta member
thank you guys in advance for nay help you can give me.
so heres what i want to do, i just bought i decent 250gb external harddrive and iam looking to use it as my music librray,
what would be the easiest way to transfer all of my itunes library to the drive and then be able to use it on a macbook?
also is there any way that once i hook it up to my mac that i would not have to copy all the music to the macbooks internal drive and only be able to access the music when the external hd is plugged into the macbook?
thanks.

give this a try, i did this a while back, wen i opened itunes on my main computer i had to just highlight all my music on the external drive and then they all become shortcuts to the external drive. in other words just play music by opening the music in the external, but highlight all of them and open them

okay so how do i go about ransfering my itunes library from my pc to my external hd and then be able to play them on my macbook?

well u'd have to take the entire folder where your music is located and just drag it into ur external HD and do the thing i told u to do. which was to open itunes on the macbook then play music thru the external HD. Then highlight the entire library then play them all, so they create a shortcut from the macbook to the HD...depending on how much music u have it should take a lil bit of time

I'm not entirely sure if the macbook can read ntfs file system (what do they even use?). otherwise I'd say copy it all from your hard drive to the external, plug it into your macbook (having a copy still on your pc as a backup in case anything goes wrong), open Itunes, and link Itunes to the folder on your external drive. Assuming that mac OS can read the file system you should be good to go, otherwise I'm not sure what you'll have to do, prolly have to have one of the mac guys explain that one. sorry I can't be of more help. :)

Back
Top Bottom