start over?

Rubber314Chicken

Golden Master
With all of the db errors, what if David just wiped the entire thing, and we started again from scratch? would that help to fix the problems? I'm sure we can all live without the archives.

With all of the db errors, what if David just wiped the entire thing, and we started again from scratch? would that help to fix the problems? I'm sure we can all live without the archives.
I don't see that as an option, I understand from David that doing that isn't as simple as it sounds, feasable with a home computer, but CF's must have a huge memory capacity, storing possibly half a million or more items, it's virtually impossible to do logistically, take mine for example, AVG searches around 54,000 items & that's peanuts compared with some members PC's, perhaps members would like to tell us how many they have, how many do you?

:rolleyes: Wow, out of all the ideas I've seen in this forum this one takes the cake. Why would you want to erase all the data from the forums and start from scratch? A forum is meant to grow.

I don't see that as an option, I understand from David that doing that isn't as simple as it sounds, feasable with a home computer, but CF's must have a huge memory capacity, storing possibly half a million or more items, it's virtually impossible to do logistically, take mine for example, AVG searches around 54,000 items & that's peanuts compared with some members PC's, perhaps members would like to tell us how many they have, how many do you?
Umm... what does AVG searching files for viruses have to do with removing files from the server? It wouldn't take long if David was willing to do it to just delete the MySQL database, but then we'd all have to re-register and everything again.

Personally... I don't think we should erase anything. It's not the size of the files that's the problem, I've saw forums much larger than this one that functioned properly.

If we don't have the content, we won't get indexed properly on search engines. Not a good idea IMO.

Umm... what does AVG searching files for viruses have to do with removing files from the server? It wouldn't take long if David was willing to do it to just delete the MySQL database, but then we'd all have to re-register and everything again.

Personally... I don't think we should erase anything. It's not the size of the files that's the problem, I've saw [correction; seen] forums much larger than this one that functioned properly.
I was just making comparisons between "small" computers & CF's which would be a nightmare if that huge amount of memory had to be recovered, I didn't mention the server as I thought that wasn't the problem we'd been discussing.

I was just making comparisons between "small" computers & CF's which would be a nightmare if that huge amount of memory had to be recovered, I didn't mention the server as I thought that wasn't the problem we'd been discussing.

Yeah it's not really related, and has nothing to do with memory.

Back
Top Bottom