Power Supply Help

PopcornKiller

Baseband Member
I'm planning on getting AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Windsor 2.6GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADA5200CSBOX, ASUS M2N-E Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 Ultra MCP ATX AMD Motherboard, and 2GB (2X1GB) PNY DDR2 Memory.

Is 400 watts power supply good enough for it? I'm NOT playing highly graphics games. I just want a computer thats not slow, but I dont want my computer to slow down because of my power supply. I'm going to be hooking up 2 hard drives, 1 sata, 1 ide. And a dvd-rom and cd burner.

I have dont have extra money to spend on a power supply because I just bought this one for my old computer 2 months ago, can't return it. So would or SHOULD I get bigger power supply? And also, I leave my computer on all day, probably turn it off once every 6 months for like 6 hours. Don't want my electric bill to go off the roof. I also don't want it to heat up my little tinny room.

400 watts is actually the minimum in today's computing and you should get by just fine. What kind of video card are you using? I would typically go for a 450-500 watt power supply. For now, I don't see any reason why it won't hold up. Give it a try with your older PSU for awhile and see what happens.

video card makes a huge difference to power consumption. So it's kind of hard to say without knowing which vid card you are going to use.

I'm planning on getting PNY GeForce 8500GT. And I just bought 430W Antec TruePower Trio PSU. Would that PSU help?

Is there any other brand name PSU that are cheap but good as well? because this PSU was about $100. If I can find something cheap and good, it would help me a lot. And is Rosewell a good psu company? Any other brand name you guys recommend which are cheap but good? I mean I don't want my PSU to kill my CPU and Motherboard, as well as other things.

yea just to be safe, get atleast a 500w, correct me if im wrong, but the more the better u can get sum great prices at this site i found a while back called http://www.xoxide.com...im gonna post this website so ppl can see cuz they have sum cool stuff....

Yeah, well, you really don't want to skimp out too much on the PSU. I spent 60 dollars on my Aspire 520W PSU and it just died on me last week. I've had it for about a year and a half. I just placed an order on a OCZ GameXstream 700W from Newegg though... lol.

Thank you guys for all the help. I'm going to stick with Antec PSU. Can't wait to get the CPU and Motherboard.

Back
Top Bottom