Build a Gaming Computer

ummm please give the names of the video cards

And there is no need to get 1gb of video card memory unless u do some professional work and also the 1gb video cards tend to be slow on gaming

And since u are gaming the only need for more video card memory is if ur screen size if big
256mbs of video card memory is ok for a 17" monitor or so
512 is for a 20" and up and 756 is for big screens with high resolution.

Also dont base ur video card search on the size of the memory base it on the memory speeds, core clock speed, and the brand (Nvidia or ATI)

I want to do multi moniters with AGP output... I will probably get DVI output and get adapters so I can easily and very 'cheaply' for lack of a real word in my head, later on.

Well, As I've mentioned on previous threads, getting a DirectX10 card for DirectX10 games is a waste of time so buy with DirectX9 in mind only. Then you've to think of the money, a ATI X1950XTX 512MB will set you back about £110/US$170 and be about 80% the speed of the Nvidia flagship 8800GTX at US$500, and outperforms all the 8600 series and 8800gs, so I'd go that route until the next gen of DirectX10 cards are realeased that can actually cope with DirectX10 games.

Check out benchmarks of DirectX 10 games if you don't believe me, seriously, I don't get why people want to get the cards for DirectX10 games when your average frame rate's going to be in the region of 25fps with no AA or AF. with a minimum frame rate of about 15fps, it's simply not playable.

Well, As I've mentioned on previous threads, getting a DirectX10 card for DirectX10 games is a waste of time so buy with DirectX9 in mind only. Then you've to think of the money, a ATI X1950XTX 512MB will set you back about £110/US$170 and be about 80% the speed of the Nvidia flagship 8800GTX at US$500, and outperforms all the 8600 series and 8800gs, so I'd go that route until the next gen of DirectX10 cards are realeased that can actually cope with DirectX10 games.

Check out benchmarks of DirectX 10 games if you don't believe me, seriously, I don't get why people want to get the cards for DirectX10 games when your average frame rate's going to be in the region of 25fps with no AA or AF. with a minimum frame rate of about 15fps, it's simply not playable.

Direct X10 was originally designed in mind for Flight Simulator X, which is what I will be using mostly... so something that can be upgraded by installing new drivers is fine with me

And that is 1 and how many zeroes? :p

Is there a new imporved type coming out any time soon?

There working on a new PCI-E X2 but I have no clue on the ETA.

Do you mean the X1950XTX is faster than a 8800GTS as well? If so please provide some info on that. I've went through a detailed listing of toms hardware reviews and the only thing the X1950XTX is faster is in a few games that require 512mb of Vram. So the 320mb version loses a bit of ground but the 640mb version still beats it.

That really is funny though. Quit hating on the 8800series just cause your stuck on a old card.

2nd part about the whole DX10 thing. The fact is the 8800series is killing the market. There not much more than higher end DX9 cards. Why not just buy one if your getting a card. You can always turn down the settings a bit if its not running DX10 games at a high enough FPS.

Next part to that if there scoring so low graphicaly hows the X1950XTX doing?

well..... i think this thread lost its aim

We need a bit more info on wat kind of games u will be playing wat performance u want out of this build

also i have a feeling and plz take no offense to this but it seems that u dont no much about computers =/

and even though i still have alot to learn about computers u seem to be just how i was before i came to the forums (cuz of all the help the forums gave me)

well i noticed that we are on the topic of gfx cards i saw were some had posted thatr a 256 is for lke a 17in screen and up forth but im looking at getting a 8800gts 320mb 500mhz gfx and ill be running a 20inch crt monitor already owned will upgrade later to mabey a 22inch lcd or just buy another 17inch crt and ruin dual screens and ill be using this card for gaming like first person shooters and hwta not

There working on a new PCI-E X2 but I have no clue on the ETA.

Do you mean the X1950XTX is faster than a 8800GTS as well? If so please provide some info on that. I've went through a detailed listing of toms hardware reviews and the only thing the X1950XTX is faster is in a few games that require 512mb of Vram. So the 320mb version loses a bit of ground but the 640mb version still beats it.

That really is funny though. Quit hating on the 8800series just cause your stuck on a old card.

2nd part about the whole DX10 thing. The fact is the 8800series is killing the market. There not much more than higher end DX9 cards. Why not just buy one if your getting a card. You can always turn down the settings a bit if its not running DX10 games at a high enough FPS.

Next part to that if there scoring so low graphicaly hows the X1950XTX doing?

Your completely, immaturely, missing my point, so I'll spell it out for you.

I don't know if you can remember back to the Geforce FX series. These were Nvidia's answer to Direct X 9, and did you know that games, half life 2 being one of them, had to actually disable DirectX9 support on ALL FX series graphics cards. Simply because they couldn't handle DirectX9 at smooth frame rates. What I'm saying is that it's the same story here with Direct X 10, from both Nvidia and ATI. The cards simply cannot handle DirectX10 games. Show me one benchmark that says other wise. Even without AA or AF is i've mentioned already- I think you missed reading that in my previous post.

So, here's a fact- no ATI or Nvidia cards are any good at DX10 gaming. Prove otherwise.

You agree, or so you suggest, that an ATIX1950XTX 512MB can perform as well and in some cases better than a 8800GTS 320MB. Say there equal, as the 8800GTS beats it in some cases too.

Now considering one is £70 more expensive than the other, what would you buy? I know what I would, considering I'm planning on upgrading to capable DX10 hardware when it's finally released.

Now, the cheapest 8800Ultra I can find is £420, and it still is no good at DX10, yet all the graphics card I have metioned will play every DX9 game on earth reasonably. So why spend 3 times as much on a card (8800ultra or GTX) when it's no good at DX10, when you could suffice with a decent DX9 card (X1950XTX or 8800GTS) that will play all current game noticebly just as well and keep your saved money for decent DX10 hardware?

I'll quote myself again
"getting a DirectX10 card for DirectX10 games is a waste of time so buy with DirectX9 in mind only"

I didn't say I hated the 8800 series. I said don't buy any cards with DX10 in mind, and I certianly wouldn't recomend the ATI X27xx series. I'm saying hold out with something cheap that'll do all you need it to do till DX10 capable hardware comes out.

"That really is funny though. Quit hating on the 8800series just cause your stuck on a old card." - My life doesn't revolve round making sure I have better kit than everyone else by puting them off other products. I do have a life. What I do, do though, is try to give people my opinion and highlight, what I call a serious product weakness with all current DX10 hardware, a flaw.

A little off topic, but I thought I would throw it in (sorry mods). Did you know that the Wal-Mart I work at only sells PCI video cards? I mean the regular 16 bit PCI. :eek: Not AGP, not PCI Ex, PCI!!!!! They must think customers will just buy anything when it comes to a video card.

A little off topic, but I thought I would throw it in (sorry mods). Did you know that the Wal-Mart I work at only sells PCI video cards? I mean the regular 16 bit PCI. :eek: Not AGP, not PCI Ex, PCI!!!!! They must think customers will just buy anything when it comes to a video card.

Lol, now that is funny. Perhaps the senior management who made the disicion was a techie in the early '90's!

Back
Top Bottom