Can we disable Integrated Graphics (on a notebook) and use dedicated graphics.

mdtajghori

In Runtime
hi,
I have Integrated Graphics on my notebook(Intel 945 Gm Express Chipset). I want to know if we can disable the integrated graphics and use a dedicated graphic card using a pci express port(x 16) which I fortunately have on my motherboard. These integrated graphics suck when gaming and I really want to get dedicated graphics. Thanks in advance.

Asus F3F Notebook
Intel Centrino Duo (1.86 GHz)
1 GB RAM
Windows vista home premium

that does not sound right
if your had a graphics card in your notebook
you wouldn't have integrated as well

if the bios supports it (which it should do if you have a pci-e port) then it should work.
the intel 945 may be integrated onto the mobo (im not sure) but it still has 128mb of dedicated ram. i have that in my laptop and it doesnt touch my ram. i have 1gb exactly

that does not sound right
if your had a graphics card in your notebook
you wouldn't have integrated as well

i think he means to add a card in.

im pretty sure u could disable but why dont u add a card in and change ur monitor cable to attah to the dedicated instead?

this is what I got from the intel website. I copied it from the specification section of Mobile intel 945 GM Express Chipset(the one I have in my notebook). This shows that it is possible to add a separate graphic card. But adding the card will void the waranty i guess. I will try the asus technical help to see if they do this kind of stuff(changing the graphic card for the customers)

Discrete Graphics using PCI Express*
• One 16-lane (x16) PCI Express port for external PCI Express-based graphics card.
• Compliant to the current PCI Express* Base Specification base PCI Express
frequency of 2.5 GHz only.
• Raw bit-rate on the data pins of 2.5 Gb/s, resulting in a real bandwidth per pair of
250 MB/s given the 8/10 encoding used to transmit data across this interface.
• Maximum theoretical realized bandwidth on interface of 4 GB/s in each direction
simultaneously, for an aggregate of 8 GB/s when x16.
• 100-MHz differential reference clock (shared by PCI Express Gfx and DMI)
• STP-AGP/AGP_BUSY Protocol equivalent for PCI Express-based attach is via creditbased
PCI Express mechanism.
• PCI Express power management support
• L0s, L1, L2/L3 Ready, L3
• Hierarchical PCI-compliant configuration mechanism for downstream devices (i.e.,
conventional PCI 2.3 configuration space as a PCI-to-PCI bridge).
• PCI Express Extended Configuration Space. The first 256 bytes of configuration
space aliases directly to the PCI compatibility configuration space. The remaining
portion of the fixed 4-KB block of memory-mapped space above that (starting at
100h) is known as extended configuration space.
• PCI Express Enhanced Addressing Mechanism. Accessing the device configuration
space in a flat memory mapped fashion.
• Automatic discovery, negotiation, and training of link out of reset
• Supports traditional PCI style traffic (asynchronous snooped, PCI ordering)
• Supports traditional AGP style traffic (asynchronous non-snooped, PCI-X Relaxed
ordering)
• Support for peer segment destination write traffic (no peer-to-peer read traffic) in
Virtual Channel 0 only.
• APIC and MSI interrupt messaging support. Will send Intel-defined “End Of
Interrupt” broadcast message when initiated by the CPU.
• Downstream Lock Cycles (including Split Locks)
• Automatic clock extraction and phase correction at the receiver.

how can we check how much dedicated memory we have. the intel 945 gm is integrated on the motherboard as u said.

thses r the details from the graphic properties
Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for Mobile Report

Report Date: 07/30/2007
Report Time[hr:mm:ss]: 00:40:35
Driver Version: 7.14.10.1255
Operating System: Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium* , (6.0.6000)
Default Language: English
DirectX* Version: 10.0
Physical Memory: 1014 MB
Minimum Graphics Memory: 8 MB
Maximum Graphics Memory: 224 MB
Graphics Memory in Use: 42 MB
Processor: x86 family 6 Model 14 Stepping 12
Processor Speed: 1861 MHZ
Vendor ID: 8086
Device ID: 27A2
Device Revision: 03

* Accelerator Information *

Accelerator in Use: Mobile Intel(R) 945GM/GU Express Chipset Family
Video BIOS: 1284
Current Graphics Mode: 1280 by 800 True Color (59 Hz)

* Devices Connected to the Graphics Accelerator *

Active Notebook Displays: 1

* Notebook *

Monitor Name:
Display Type: Digital
Gamma Value: 2.20
DDC2 Protocol: Supported
Maximum Image Size: Horizontal: Not Available
Vertical: Not Available
Monitor Supported Modes:
1280 by 800 (60 Hz)
Display Power Management Support:
Standby Mode: Not Supported
Suspend Mode: Not Supported
Active Off Mode: Not Supported

i find the card is good enough for games like call of duty 1 and san andreas but i wont try anything higher than that, laptops just arnt made for that. if you wanted a gaming laptop you should have just bought one in the first place.
id leave it as it is if i were you.

in that case will upgrading the ram to 2Gb help?? It has 224 MB maximum Graphic memory so it can utilize 224 MB from the 2 Gigs as 1 Gigs with vista premium installed isnt good enough I guess If u want 224 Mb to be utilized in graphics. And I need a confirmation that I can use a dedicated card through the pci e port rite? Tell yes plzz

I tried nfs carbon and it sucks as it runs damn slow.

hmmm my card seems to have 128mb dedicated ram, and i cant change it, ive also read about your type of card where you can change it, now im just confused. does your card take away any of your main ram? if it does then theres no reason why you cant add a supported graphics card into the port. as for mine im not sure how it works,

edit: @borat, im sure he said he had a pci-e slot in post 1

nahh you wouldnt be able to upgrade it because it doesnt have a pci-express slot. it just says that the chipset supports it. doesnt mention ANYWHERE that the laptop actually has a slot.

Back
Top Bottom