Phenom teaser

I finally found it. Here are the model numbers!!!! You heard it here---

"AMD plans to launch two Phenom X4 and three X2 models within the next three quarters

AMD's latest roadmap reveals the company's model numbers for the performance and mainstream Phenom X4 and X2 processors. Despite AMD issuing model numbers, the clock speeds are still ballpark figures and not yet set in stone. AMD has two Phenom X4 and three X2 models planned. Three of the models are set for a Q4'2007 launch.

The Agena-based Phenom X4 processors carry the GP-7xxx model number. There will be two Phenom X4 GP-7xxx processors at launch – the GP-7100 and the GP-7000. AMD plans to clock the Phenom X4 GP-7100 from 2.2-to-2.4 GHz. The Phenom X4 GP-7100 has a 3600 MHz HyperTransport 3.0, or HT3, bus speed. The lesser Phenom X4 GP-7000 has a targeted clock speed between 2.0-to-2.2 GHz and a lesser HT3 bus speed in excess of 3200 MHz. The two quad-core processors will have 89-watt thermal ratings.

AMD plans to launch one Phenom X2 GP-6xxx model by the end of the year. The Phenom X2 GP-6550 joins the Phenom line up next quarter clocked somewhere between 2.0-to-2.4 GHz. The first Phenom X2 to launch has a 3600 MHz HT3 bus speed. This model has a TDP of 65 watts.

Two more Phenom X2 GP-6xxx models will join the lineup in Q1'2008. The Phenom X2 GP-6650 will launch first between 2.2-to-2.6 GHz with a 3600 MHz HT3 bus speed. This model has a 65-watt TDP, similar to the GP-6550. The next Phenom X2 GP-6xxx model to launch is the GP-6800. This model has a higher 89-watt TDP, but still a dual-core processor. AMD aims for a 2.4-to-2.8 GHz clock speed with a 4000 MHz HT3 bus speed.

In Q2'2008, AMD plans to launch one more Stars processor based on the Rana core. This model does not carry the Phenom name because it's a lower end mainstream processor without L3 cache. The Athlon X2 LS-2350 aims to clock in at 2.0-to-2.2 GHz with a 3200 MHz HT3 bus speed.

The 3.0 GHz Phenom processor that AMD demonstrated last week during its Analyst Day does not appear anywhere in the most recent desktop roadmap.

AMD's latest guidance explains that sample availability for AM2 Phenom will begin in the "September/October" window, with box stock during "November/December."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks real nice. Its about time that AMD may be coming back with something.

I can't wait to see this. I think the Athlon line will have it's last leg at this one and then no more. It's been around for a long time with that particular model. So many Athlon users. Now, we're going to see more Phenom users. What a strange name though. I guess it's short for like, "Phenomenal", or "Phenomenon" or something, lol.

Yeah, AMD is gonna beat out the C2Ds with this, at least, they better accomplish that much. How it fares against Penryn though you never know, which will probably bring competition neck to neck between Intel and AMD. Once Nehalem is released though in Q2 of next year, you never know what could happen. AMDs main flaw at the moment is manufacturing power, something that Intel boasts as one of it's key strengths and advantages over AMD. I've always been a fan of AMD, so I'm hoping this Barcelona deal will really get AMD back on track.

I enjoy this type of competitiveness between these two powerhouse manufacturers. That's what drives technology towards its best. I haven't seen a single benchmark yet so it's all speculations for now. If I were CEO of AMD, I would expect this new launch to be pretty huge.

I don't know what AMD has planned for optic chips, but Intel has a big part of their R&D dept. testing this new technology. Should Intel be the first to manufacturer these babys, whew...that would be something.

So is it going to be AM2+ or regular AM2? Am I screwed?
Actually my X2 Windsor cuts it for now.

At the Quad FX level, AMD said that FX processors would be Socket 1207 only. Unfortunately, AMD has once again reversed its decision and Phenom FX processors will be available in both Socket 1207 and Socket AM2 flavors.

The Phenom X4 and X2 processors will be Socket AM2/AM2+ only and are 100% backwards compatible with current AM2 motherboards.

The current Athlon 64 X2 has been renamed to the Athlon X2--given that both AMD and Intel offer 64 bit CPUs, dropping the 64 from the name makes sense. At the bottom of the list is AMD's Sempron, which is the only single core brand by AMD.

Phenom will work in current Socket AM2/Socket 1207 motherboards with a BIOS update, but it loses the ability to run its Northbridge and CPU cores at separate voltages/clock frequencies. If you buy a new Socket AM2+/Socket 1207+ motherboard, then the CPU cores and Northbridge can run at separate voltages/frequencies. The benefit of doing this is not only power savings, but AMD has indicated that it can actually run the Northbridge faster than the CPU cores (by 200 - 400MHz) which will improve performance. The L3 cache happens to run on the same voltage and at the same frequency as the Northbridge, making the performance benefits of using a new "PLUS socket" motherboard a plus (Socket AM2+/Socket 1207+).

Back
Top Bottom