What to do with an 11 year old Dell?

Mammoth

Baseband Member
Yes, my mom has pretty much given me her old Dell. It's 11 years old and has a crazy 1GB HD, and I think 128MB of RAM and a less than 300Mhz processor. I want to do something really weird with it, but keep it useful. I thought about Folding, but considering how much power it would draw, that doesn't make sense. All I can think of is a budget case mod... and that's it. Any good ideas?

Put a bigger hard drive in and use it as a home server. You could have it fold in the background too.

to be honest that thing just isn't going to be usefull for anything. So.... umm.. for example overclock the video card (if you can find a bios flash tool for it) to the point where it just stops working.

Install linux on it for fun? Shoot it with a shotgun? Some crazy cooling modification?

I think a home server would be the best thing for it . Just get a bigger hard drive put it in and use it as a home file or print server

I say go outside, put it on the floor, stare at it like a bull for abit then get a crowbar and go wild rofl.

Wait! I know! Play simcity on it! Sadly, I know you can...don't ask me why

Orrrr

Warcraft 2

Okay, I'll explain. I had a computer with less than equal specs.

I mean, worse! It ran those games haha

i gotta agree with most ppl here that comp really isnt worth doin n e thing with,

maybe donate to a charity shop ? or school

u could try overclocking it as far as possible,

if your really patient you could use it as a test machine like if you download a torrent with no comments you could test it on their to save you own pc ?

you could as ppl say have it as a storage server / print server.

yea a server would be good for it, depends what size hdd it can support, not a very big one im guessing, get windows 2k on it or even 98. 1gb just aint gonna get xp on it

to be honest that thing just isn't going to be usefull for anything. So.... umm

I have to disagree with you on this one. Me personally, I would just throw a distro of 'Linux' on it (slackware) and install 2 NIC cards one for monitoring incomming traffic and the other one for monitoring outgoing traffic and install iptables from http://www.netfilter.org/ and use it as a *firewall* box.

I have an old dinosaur box 168mb of ram, 398mhz, running XP PRO it's fast for all the crappy specs. Also, I tweaked(customized) the OS so it runs faster than one would assume.

Back
Top Bottom