DB errors

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we post immediately after the error you can see the time stamp on the post. Plus, how are we going to help you out if nothing is done about the problem?

no hes admitted he doesnt know how to fix it.
he is trying but obviously not hard enough, it has to be said. if i had a site like this id be asking everyone for a fix and would try constantly. even at 1am

Quoted for truth. Agreed.

i wouldnt say hes knocking back help, hes just being a bit anal about it all.
idk. :(

David I will in future post the db error times in future and apologies for my thread but it does get very frustrating at times.

Many thanks for that, I appreciate its frustrating and I hope I didn't single anyones posts out in particular.

On a good note, I've written a monitor program that connects to the database every 30 seonds and writes the result here: http://www.computerforums.org/uptime.txt so this should give us some idea of times.

No.

No.

I couldn't have left you a warmer welcome back or invitation to help trouble shooting. The second you return, you immediatly start bashing me with untrue comments. I invited you to a PM conversation about troubleshooting but unfortunately I see you must have refused because I have received no PMs. I guess I'm on my own again.

I want an apology for your above statement refering to me as being too proud to accept any help.

For all the members out there who want to see how rot has been troublemaking, this is it. I welcome him back with open arms and he gives me a slap in the face.

Explain to me how the following posts indicate the time of the errors:

'today', so that would be one of the 50,000 log entrys would it? How am I going to track it down?

no indiciation of an error at all

I know most of you out there with 0 faith in me aren't going to belive me but to anyone who actually wants to help, when making a post in this thread, take an extra 2 seconds, just 2 seconds and say 'David, I got an error at 12.13PM, a connection reset error' and I can go away and have a look exactly what happened at that time and track down any errors, any SQL codes that have been accessed by that page at 12.13PM and do my best to solve the problem'. Posting 10, 20minutes, days later isn't really a help.

Thanks to all those who are quick to jump up and save 'David doens't know what hes doing and isn't putting any effort in', makes the times I spent troubleshooting worth all the effort
For a start that was rfactor not rot13 but whatever , and i am sorry but you are knocking back help because the other day DJ-Chris made an offer for you to send him all the data for the forum and he would put it on his server and see if the errors still occured then but you didnt even comment on this suggestion so that seems to me like you think you can do it on your own without anyones help which if i where you i would take every offer of help people are giving
I would like to believe you are putting effort in but i have seen no evidence and i am not going to defend you when people are saying this if there is no evidence to back up that you are putting effort in sorry but i just dont work like that . In fact this log http://www.computerforums.org/uptime.txt is the first piece of evidence i have seen that you are putting effort in . Maybe keeping us updated with what you are doing and trying would be great so we at least can see that you are trying and people cant come along and critisise you and saying you arent trying hard enough

It's really obvious he's trying. Even if he doesn't show evidence, give him a break god damn. If i get Future database errors i will be sure to post the time David.

Yeah i will carry on posting them with a date and time .
i would like to believe that too but its hard to defend against people saying he isnt doing anything if there is no evidence

i wouldnt say hes knocking back help, hes just being a bit anal about it all.
idk. :(

?

For a start that was rfactor not rot13 but whatever , and i am sorry but you are knocking back help because the other day DJ-Chris made an offer for you to send him all the data for the forum and he would put it on his server and see if the errors still occured then but you didnt even comment on this suggestion so that seems to me like you think you can do it on your own without anyones help which if i where you i would take every offer of help people are giving
I would like to believe you are putting effort in but i have seen no evidence and i am not going to defend you when people are saying this if there is no evidence to back up that you are putting effort in sorry but i just dont work like that . In fact this log http://www.computerforums.org/uptime.txt is the first piece of evidence i have seen that you are putting effort in . Maybe keeping us updated with what you are doing and trying would be great so we at least can see that you are trying and people cant come along and critisise you and saying you arent trying hard enough

Ofcourse I appreicated DJ-chris's offer but I don't think it would be a reliable test for a number of reasons.
1) There would not be a way to test the server under load like the current CF server receives.
2) It wouldn't be very easy to trafer 30GB of data
3) there would be various security issues such as all of the cf passwords being held in that data, and many other security issues including everyones personal information. I'm not saying DJ chris would abuse it but moving it into a public area where 1 person would be able to download it makes me uneasy.
4) its not the data intself thats causing the errors, its been through vbulletin upgrades, mysql upgrades etc each time it would have been reformatted.

I would like to believe you are putting effort in but i have seen no evidence and i am not going to defend you when people are saying this if there is no evidence to back up that you are putting effort in sorry but i just dont work like that . In fact this log

No evidence?

Lets rewind back a couple of months when everyone was going on about upgrades. I too hoped that a vbulletin upgrade would solve the db issues.

So I paid out of my own money to renew the vbulletin license and went about performing the upgrade. Easy to install vbulletin you will all say but you have to go through all the custom files such as the reply button, form logo etc that need changing from the default vbulletin one to the custom one.

Customised template code also needs to be converted.

The vbulletin upgrade didn't solve the db problem so I looked at the database software itself. I installed a newer version and setup and configured it. Bear in mind I run a number of sites with lots of databases. Each table needed to be repair and optimised as the new mysql version stored things different. SQL statements were also change so I had to go through and update the websites with the new mysql 5.x type of statements.

That still didn't solve the db errors so I turned my attention to the HTTP software. I install Apache 2.2.4 and set it up. This did have a posetive effect. There were days when I had to split the backups into 100MB files and use download managers to continue downloading the backup when the connection reset so I had check back every 30 minutes to continue the download and then move on to the next backup file batch. Now I can happily download several GBs of backups in one go.

The DB errors still continued so I turned to PHP. I installed the latest stable version and set it up. Ofcourse some PHP code was now old so I had to modify files that still used the old type and integrade the new PHP version with apache.

After all these upgrades , the db errors continued so I am now having to look closely at the PHP files and SQL queries which meant changing small things and waiting to see how they affected the stability.

Now all the obvious ideas have been worn out I am looking behind the scense at the server itself and the sites actually code.

The most recent change was to put a stop to a project I was working on which does seemed to have made a improvement.

I even created this thread so people can post error details and times to help me track them down. No evidence??

I continually ask people to help me out by posting the times.

so by your logic, because you can phyiscally see me sat at my desk working on the server I can't possibly be putting any effort in?

?

Ofcourse I appreicated DJ-chris's offer but I don't think it would be a reliable test for a number of reasons.
1) There would not be a way to test the server under load like the current CF server receives.
2) It wouldn't be very easy to trafer 30GB of data
3) there would be various security issues such as all of the cf passwords being held in that data, and many other security issues including everyones personal information. I'm not saying DJ chris would abuse it but moving it into a public area where 1 person would be able to download it makes me uneasy.
4) its not the data intself thats causing the errors, its been through vbulletin upgrades, mysql upgrades etc each time it would have been reformatted.

No evidence?

Lets rewind back a couple of months when everyone was going on about upgrades. I too hoped that a vbulletin upgrade would solve the db issues.

So I paid out of my own money to renew the vbulletin license and went about performing the upgrade. Easy to install vbulletin you will all say but you have to go through all the custom files such as the reply button, form logo etc that need changing from the default vbulletin one to the custom one.

Customised template code also needs to be converted.

The vbulletin upgrade didn't solve the db problem so I looked at the database software itself. I installed a newer version and setup and configured it. Bear in mind I run a number of sites with lots of databases. Each table needed to be repair and optimised as the new mysql version stored things different. SQL statements were also change so I had to go through and update the websites with the new mysql 5.x type of statements.

That still didn't solve the db errors so I turned my attention to the HTTP software. I install Apache 2.2.4 and set it up. This did have a posetive effect. There were days when I had to split the backups into 100MB files and use download managers to continue downloading the backup when the connection reset so I had check back every 30 minutes to continue the download and then move on to the next backup file batch. Now I can happily download several GBs of backups in one go.

The DB errors still continued so I turned to PHP. I installed the latest stable version and set it up. Ofcourse some PHP code was now old so I had to modify files that still used the old type and integrade the new PHP version with apache.

After all these upgrades , the db errors continued so I am now having to look closely at the PHP files and SQL queries which meant changing small things and waiting to see how they affected the stability.

Now all the obvious ideas have been worn out I am looking behind the scense at the server itself and the sites actually code.

The most recent change was to put a stop to a project I was working on which does seemed to have made a improvement.

I even created this thread so people can post error details and times to help me track them down. No evidence??

I continually ask people to help me out by posting the times.

so by your logic, because you can phyiscally see me sat at my desk working on the server I can't possibly be putting any effort in?

OK 1 i juts had a white screen error at five to two or 13:55 ish and according to your log there was something around that time i dunno when it came back on as i went away for a wile to do something
7/29 13:54:46 Failed: Lost connection to MySQL server during query
7/29 13:55:19 Failed: MySQL server has gone away

Ok then i didnt understand how much data would need to be transported so thats that idea rubbished

And 2 i dont remember you notifying the member about all this stuff , except the V bulletin upgrade i didn't bear that in mind . You also didnt tell us about abandoning a project you had . If you want us to believe you are working hard to fix it you need to notify us of what you are trying and what progress you are making .That also gives people with knowledge in this area to successfully help you troubleshoot by looking at what you have tried and thinking what else can be tried
My logic is that i am not gonna defend you if i cant see evidence that you are solving the problem . By keepng us notified of what you are doing and have tried that then shows us that david is working very hard on this problem and then when somebody like rot13 comes along we can show him look here is what david has tried if you wanna help troubleshoot do that heres what he has already tried but you cant say David isn't trying

maybe also consider hiring a co admin to help with maintaining your sites/server,
theres a lot of people on here that are capable and im sure would do it for free.

OK 1 i juts had a white screen error at five to two or 13:55 ish

Thank you.

At the moment the uptime display only shows db errors, I'm still working on adding http errors

If you post any more like this, you run the risk of sharing David's anger alongside member "rfactor"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom