Help my average downloading speed has changed

Elsom

Baseband Member
I was downloading at an average of 60/kb a sec but now its 20/kb a second. I was reading something saying that internet providers sometimes limit you or something if you are downloading to much. is this true? please help me

Could be environmental conditions, traffic from the ISP's users, etc. Give it a couple of days and if nothing happens, call your internet service provider.

yea that could be it but it could also be the quality of the lines to ur computer are failing

(BTW that speed is SLOW my average speed is 1Mb /sec and at times 2 to 3)

ouch thats some bad quality wire
If u try switching ISPs u could see a difference
That happened to my
With optim online i got only in the Kbs and no higher than 500kbs
Im extremely happy with the fios and the free wireless gateway
but alot of times the problem with slow internet is the quality of wire
Which if the city is too lazy to replace then its really crapy for u
But this thing is very spoted
I got 500kbs and my nabor with the same ISP gets 2 to 5 mbs which is completely unfair

You should look up the terms and conditions on your ISP website,they will probably have the fair usage policy as most do now but in there they normally give you a time frame as to when not to download large files eg 6pm-11pm (TISCALI) so this might help you. also your download speed will alter depending on the number of seeds that the file has the lower the number of seeds the slower you download speed will be.

Its probably down to the fair usage policy like mentioned above. Most ISPs have these in place now and will throttle your connection without warning if you download more than your meant to or if your downloading at peak times.

I think it is the fair usage policy I'm downloading around the normal speed now

I pay for 3 MBps, but only download at approx 300kbps at best, maybe 350 on a good day.
a 3mb connection doesnt mean you will download at 3000kbps. your estimates sound right. i get around 240kb at best on my 2mb line.

as for the original problem it sounds like you live in a crappy area so the line speed may have changed. on my mums homehub it sometimes disconnects and the speed varies from 800kb/s to 2mb/s. just one of those things

I was downloading at an average of 60/kb a sec but now its 20/kb a second. I was reading something saying that internet providers sometimes limit you or something if you are downloading to much. is this true? please help me

well if u have done massive downloading, over 10 gb then they probably capped u, and u have to look at it over a long period of time. i found sumthin really handy that keeps me downloading at my full speed, around 100 kb persec.

Back
Top Bottom