computer won't turn on... huh..

kchi55

Fully Optimized
Just as the title of the thread suggests, the computer in my sig refuses to turn on.

Just to recount how this happened, I'm not exactly sure, I come over to turn my computer one day and.. no go.

Now it basically, turns on for one second with all lights/fans only to die once more.

So I figure, it can't be the video card, the computer would still manage to stay on. It could be the power supply, but I think that's a bit unlikely since it manages to keep the motherboard LED on, and if a PSU is dead, it's dead, it's not powering anything. It could be the motherboard, but that's also unlikely. I had fears that it was an issue with the HDD, but I've since convinced myself that hard drives don't just randomly stop working, and even if it did, I would at least be able to see a BIOS read out with a hard drive complaint (there weren't any prior warning signs of anything regarding a faulty hard drive). I doubt it's the RAM since it's unlikely that both sticks would fail on my simultaneously. Lastly I some how doubt the sound card has anything to do with it, and I therefore don't even know why I bother giving mention to it.

So, in the end, I've come to the conclusion that my CPU might have a few issues. That's my guess, I'm not sure though, if I've missed anything could someone please point it out, or just rectify anything that was wrong in my deductions. If it's the CPU, I don't mind paying for another CPU, and a motherboard/RAM, I've always been wanting to upgrade a little in there, but yeah, if someone could tell me what's wrong or confirm my suspicions, that'd be great. Sorry my posts are generally so long.

Thanks in adv. Kchi55

From personal experiance, I can tell you that odds are, it's either RAM, PSU or motherboard. Try both sticks of RAM by themselves, in every slot (eliminate bad memory slots on motherboard)

Next I would test with a known working power supply. If you still get nothing, keep the new PSU in, and repeat the RAM Tests.

If it doesn't fire up and post with the working PSU, and different RAM configurations, it's most likely a bad board.

From personal experiance, I can tell you that odds are, it's either RAM, PSU or motherboard. Try both sticks of RAM by themselves, in every slot (eliminate bad memory slots on motherboard)

Next I would test with a known working power supply. If you still get nothing, keep the new PSU in, and repeat the RAM Tests.

If it doesn't fire up and post with the working PSU, and different RAM configurations, it's most likely a bad board.

Alright, well that's all fine, I have 900 dollars set away for a brand new computer if I absolutely need to, but as long as the hard drive isn't done in, I don't mind getting a new everything else :D.

Yes as celegrom said, eleminate all the errors by trying parts one by one and make sure ur Computer has a brand new Battery its most likely a CR2032

To me it sounds like a faulty PSU, but definitely check to be sure, cuz I have been wrong before (and I admit it too).

Back
Top Bottom