Locking the bios

stuckinthecave

Baseband Member
I've built a couple computers for my employer, and I've been unofficially named the IT guy. Anyway, there's one guy who knows a bit about computers, and likes to overclock the processor. If the computer gets fried, I'll be screwed. Is there a way to lock an unlocked bios? I can't just set a password, cause he just flashes the bios, I just want to permenantly disable the clock speed settings. Most of my systems have a pheonix bios, and there are two with something else (I don't remember), but those will be fine. Thanks for any help.

I would say try a custom BIOS, but if he just flashes it as you say, that wouldn't stop him. I would alert your employer about his overclocking the computer.

I was hoping to avoid disiplinary action, but I guess I'll have to. What if I take the cmos battery out. If he makes changes to the bios, it'll save, then restart, hopefully cutting off power long enough to reset the bios and prevent overclocking. Right?

sounds like you need to lay down the rules.
fcuk about with the computers then you wont have access to any.
simple.

He is screwing with company property, that alone warrants disciplinary action. It is the same as vandalism or tampering. Easy as that!!!

WHo says you have to play on a level playing field . Mess about with his internet access a bit then when he asks just say oh over clocking theese machines makes the internet acecss turn off then just grain at him and walk off ,

Also just have a lil chat with your boss depending on how they are and say you dont want to make it official but could you warn him

Besides who has that little a life that they spend time overclocking the office PC . I mean what are the specs if it was something decent you could understand

Besides who has that little a life that they spend time overclocking the office PC . I mean what are the specs if it was something decent you could understand

i gotta say i disagree with that last bit i mean if i didnt have respect for IT technicians and i was put infront of a P4 2.8Ghz then id wonna c how far id overclock it seeing as its not your property you wouldnt have to replace it.

but i have too much respect for IT technicians,

anyway id cant u jus have a word with him yourself ? or is he big lol,
jus tell him that if he that if he overclocks it and frys the CPU you will have to inform the boss and it will be docked out of his wages

Back
Top Bottom