My Domain name to my Laptop

Pamela22

Solid State Member
If I want to point my domain name to my Laptop, what would I need to Do?

Any suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Pamela.

Is your laptop just a standard XP, or does it have a server OS? You need to have a DNS server set up on it, you can get a free re-direct, but not a proper domain, not worth the hassle for IIS.

First of all you need to be running your chosen webserver on your laptop whether or not its Linux Windows or anythign else. Then like joxley1990 said you need a DNS server running as well.

If your not using Linux I strongly recommend it if you're trying to run a webserver from home. IIS is easier to use but lacks the serious configuration options that Linux has but if youre looking for a quick solution then IIS is probably for you and the new version in Vista is much better than the old ones.

First of all you need to be running your chosen webserver on your laptop whether or not its Linux Windows or anythign else. Then like joxley1990 said you need a DNS server running as well.

If your not using Linux I strongly recommend it if you're trying to run a webserver from home. IIS is easier to use but lacks the serious configuration options that Linux has but if youre looking for a quick solution then IIS is probably for you and the new version in Vista is much better than the old ones.

Unless you know about *server security* it's just a matter of time before you're webserver and your notebook gets owned. Reason I say that, people know you're running a webserver from your personal box yes you will be more vulnerable to attack.

If you know nothing about "server security," I wouldnt recommend doing this, espically on my *personal* notebook thats for sure.

Cheers,
0x0161

Back
Top Bottom