Sudden shutdown

Brookfield

Golden Master
I was watching TV yesterday, when, out of the corner of my eye, I saw my monitor go blank, then re-boot, straight away I ran spybot as I always do weekly, there were 17 'faults' as they call them, I hit the delete button, I also ran Ad aware, nothing, any ideas?, I thought it might have been a power surge, but I have surge protect, any ideas??

It was probally just a power surge. I know you said you have a surge protector but I have one too and sometimes if the power goes out for a split second my PC will shutoff. How much stuff pluged in and running when it went out. I know if I have 2 much running sometimes it will go out.

Did your TV or anything else blink or hear a strange noise? Like a little zap.

It was probally just a power surge. I know you said you have a surge protector but I have one too and sometimes if the power goes out for a split second my PC will shutoff. How much stuff pluged in and running when it went out. I know if I have 2 much running sometimes it will go out, did your TV or anything else blink or hear a strange noise? Like a little zap.
Yes it did, & the lights blinked.

Ya thats what happened then. Nothing to worry about.

Thats what the surge protector is for when that happens instead of it getting possibly shorted the surge protector absorbs it but it can still turn it off due to the power loss. Sometimes it stays on through a power surge if its a few mila seconds. Anything longer and it will most likely go off.

Happens sometimes down my way . The only way to stop it going off during one of these would be to buy a UPS as the surge protector only protects again excessive current not a lack of current

Keep an eye on your CPU temp to see if its overheating, if it is it will probably start doing it regularly now.

All it takes is enough for the lights to dim and the computers go off at my house. But I am thinking about investing in some UPS units. Can't go wrong with those!

Yeah my hard drives are my most precious part and if they went i would be pretty pissed . thats why i want a UPS .
Also i had this once and instead of pwoering down my desktop went into some kind of mid state whereas the hard drives where spinning up but there was no graphics or other such as sound or fans connected by 4 pin molex where down

Like everyone has said above, it was definitely a Power thing. I know you go to a PC shop near your house, check out how much they sell UPS (Uninterpretable Power Supply) units for.

Those things are great. I bought one after a brown out fried my power supply. I can here it click in to the battery to power my computer about one second before the power flashes at my house.

Back
Top Bottom