Just need a little help figuring out compatibility and choice..turning 2 comps into 1

dude_56013

Fully Optimized
Okie Dokie...back to my great friends here at CF..hope you can help which I'm sure you can :)

Ok so here's the deal...I have two computers...both XP...

one was built like when XP first came out as it HAD SP1 on it...dont know exactly how old it is though..got it from a friend...and it's an HP

2nd one, I bought, has XP from about 2003/2004 ish, not sure if it had sp2 or if i upgraded it...(btw the SP info really has no purpose except for time stamping so you have a relative idea of how old and crusty these machines are..) its a Dell

here's the specs from CPU-Z (just took screen shots of them both for all the info...if you cant understand it or what not.. just tell me and ill post the prints on here)

now the point of this is to find out what parts I should swap out to make the best pc....now i really dont care if i end up with 2 running pcs (as in one good one with the good parts from both and the other with the crappy parts) or 1...i just want a better computer than these pieces of you-know-what....

Okay so first off here's the HP's specs

CPU

Intel Celeron (thats all it says...no like "celeron d" or anything and the logo doesnt have it either..just plain celeron but maybe the ghz will tell you what it is..idk ..i dont have much experience with celerons except the old 300's and 333's..)
Code Name: Northwood
Brand ID: 10
Package: Socket 478 mPGA
Technology: .13 um
Specification: Intel Celeron CPU 2.00GHZ
Family: F
Ext. Family: F
Model: 2
Ext Model:2
Stepping: 7 (if anyone knows what this is that can explain it..will you please..)
Revision: C1
Instructions: MMX, SSE, SSE2

Clocks--
Core Speed: 1992.9 MHZ
Multiplier: X 20.0
Bus: 99.6 mhz
Rated Bus Speed: 398.6 mhz

Cache
L1 data: 8 Kbytes
L1 Trace: 12 Kuops (can anyone explain this..never heard of it before!?)
L2: 128 Kbytes
Cores: 1
Threads: 1

MAINBOARD

ASUSTek Computer INC
Model:p4G533LA REV 1.XX

Chipset: Intel i845GL REV A1
Southbridge: Intel 82801DB (ICH4)

BIOS: Award
Ver: 3.05
Date: 12/18/02 (maybe thats around the time when it was built)

MEMORY

Type: DDR
Size: 248 Mbytes (another thing that confuzed me..shouldnt it be like 256MB..??)

Timings--
Frequency: 132.9 MHZ
FSB : DRAM = 3:4
CAS# Latency: 2.5 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay: 3 clocks
RAS# Precharge: 3 clocks
Cycle Time (Tras): 6 Clocks

Then under the SPD tab in CPUZ I get the correct RAM info but only this:

Slot 1: DDR Module Size: 256 MB...no manufacturer, timings table, or anthing just those two pieces of info...

okay now onto the DELL

CPU

Intel Pentium 4
Codename: Northwood
Brand ID: 9
Package: Socket 478 mPGA
Technology: .13 um
Spec: P4 2.8GHZ
Family and Ext Family: F
Model and Ext Model: 2
Stepping: 9 (again if someone could explain this that'd be great!)
Revision: D1

Clocks--

Core Speed: 2791.0 MHZ
Multiplier: X 21.0
Bus Speed: 132.9 MHZ
Rated FSB: 531.6 MHZ

Cache
L1 Data: 8 kbytes
L1 Trace: 12 Kuops (again i have no idea what this measure is!)
L2: 512 Kbytes

Cores:1
Threads:1

MAINBOARD

Dell Comp. Corp.
Model: 0F5949 A00
Chipset: Intel i845G REV A1
Southbridge: 82801DB (ICH4)
Sensor: SMSC 5900

BIOS
Dell Comp Corp (great (sarcastially)...i suspose that's totally un-overclockable compared to the AWARD BIOS in the HP)
A05
12/02/2003 (again..possible decently accurate date stamp)

MEMORY
Type: DDR
Size: 256 MB
Frequency: 166.1 MHZ
FSB : DRAM = 4:5
CAS# Latency: 2.5 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay: 3 clocks
RAS# Precharge: 3 clocks
Cycle Time (Tras): 7 Clocks
DRAM Idle Timer: 16 Clocks

SPD (Still MEMORY just different TAB in CPUZ)
Slot 1:
DDR
Mod. Size: 256 MB
Max Bandwidth: PC2700 (166mhz)
Manu.: Kingston
Part Number: K
Serial: 85201***
Manu. Date: Week 15 Year 02

TIMINGS TABLE (still under SPD Tab)

Here's the columns of info (2), respectively listed
Freq: 133 MHZ, 166MHZ
Cas# lat: 2.0, 2.5
Ras# to Cas#: 3, 3
Ras# Precharge: 3, 3
Tras: 6, 7

So theres the info that i scrounged off of CPU-Z so I hope that it will help you, help me!!

Thanks again....

So basically I just wanna know whats compatible (such as both of the RAMS from the both comps..and which is better hardware..mobo...cpu (for oc, and no oc), ram..etc..etc..etc

THANK YOU...CF RULES!

right well if it was me ...

id keep the asus board its older than the dell but hey the dell is a dell ... enough said

put the P4 in the asus board
Put the dell RAM on the asus board aswell

not sure bout any of them things your not sure on but that board can take upto pc2700 so both RAM should be fine.

oh and the reason the asus said 248 is coz the onboard video is scrownging 8MB off the RAM lol

i agree with ssc, dell is well dell, lol, asus and other makers are more flexible with mods, but dell is gay, and their stuff is all proprietary (cant be altered), that doesnt stop u from adding reg. things, but yea....plus celerons are shit, the L2 cache is horrible, but they make good budget cpus for reg. consumer use i suppose.

I would take the ram,hard drive and cpu out of the Dell and put them in the HP, along with what the HP has. And perhaps the cd drive, and any modems/network cards that the HP doesn't have. Thats about all you'll be able to switch around. The Asus motherboard is better than the Dell motherboard so thats why we're all suggesting that.

I would take the ram,hard drive and cpu out of the Dell and put them in the HP, along with what the HP has. And perhaps the cd drive, and any modems/network cards that the HP doesn't have. Thats about all you'll be able to switch around. The Asus motherboard is better than the Dell motherboard so thats why we're all suggesting that.

Yeah, I'd do what Tommy suggested if i where you.

yeah thanks a ton guys...yeah that dell was the biggest mistake i've made...bought it a long time ago like in 03 or 04 for school and hey i guess i was only in like 7th grade-ish...i wanted to build my own but my mom wouldnt let me lol! I wonder why..i was like 13 i suppose? lol...but yeah i figured that the asus board would be better cuz i looked at the bios for the dell and like there not even multiple tabs!! its just listed down the row in one big line and everything is, of course, locked! so I'll use the asus board and just start switching stuff around and what not...bring one of the cd drives over and the harddrive and then throw the frickin dell board in my junk drawer lol...i paid 650 bucks for that back in the day and its a piece...built my own a month ago for 850 and it's screaming fast! ....guess good things come with time!

Thanks again...

I guess thats about all i need to know but i won't delete the thread in case anyone else has some 2 cents or if this may help some one else!!

Peace

The P4 should run pretty decent with 512mb of ram. And you will have a good amount of storage space with 2 hard drives. You may have to wipe the main drive and reinstall windows though, since you will be changing processors.

Back
Top Bottom