Has anybody ordered here and is it worth it?

The system you have now is really, really new. I think it's too soon to upgrade again. I just ran CPU-Z on my desktop and lol, I'm still running on the Newcastle core. Can anyone remember that? First gen Athlon 64. So funny. But it does run quite good though.

There's some new stuff coming out later this year which is even better, but probably cost too high to afford. The quad cores do look tempting since it's drop in price.

I've been reading news on Intel and that they're working heavily on optical CPU. They're very close to releasing one soon with speeds exceeding 10GHz. They found a coupler or something that can stabilize things or something, doohicky, thingamajig, something, something. Even when they do come out, they're going to be very expensive until the market matures. In the meantime, multi core is still the way to go. Next up are the 8-Core CPUs.

yeah i guess by the time you really need a quad core to game then they will be pretty cheap, IMO save your money for something else. do you have a girlfriend\wife go buy them something specail :D if you dont you WILL need it in the future haha!

Nope single right now and loving it. Why do you think I have all this extra money :D

The system you have now is really, really new. I think it's too soon to upgrade again. I just ran CPU-Z on my desktop and lol, I'm still running on the Newcastle core. Can anyone remember that? First gen Athlon 64. So funny. But it does run quite good though.

There's some new stuff coming out later this year which is even better, but probably cost too high to afford. The quad cores do look tempting since it's drop in price.

I've been reading news on Intel and that they're working heavily on optical CPU. They're very close to releasing one soon with speeds exceeding 10GHz. They found a coupler or something that can stabilize things or something, doohicky, thingamajig, something, something. Even when they do come out, they're going to be very expensive until the market matures. In the meantime, multi core is still the way to go. Next up are the 8-Core CPUs.

Ya you gotta love technology. Thats the only part I hate you buy something new and then you gotta upgrade in 3 months to stay current. U got a link to that article that sounds sweet!

I dunno i've been debating this along with some other stuff. I'd like to get a 22inch monitor or a lcd tv. My TV burnt the top bulb so its got a blurry screen at the very top and its starting to really annoy me. Itching to spend some money I guess.

Here it is. It's late breaking news from Intel.

Intel Claims Breakthrough With 40Gbps Optical Chips
Intel is close to creating chips that transmit data at high speeds using light instead of electrons.

It's the "silicon laser modulators" Intel's been working on all these years and I thought it was 10GHz, but they're talking about data transmission rate which can exceed 40Gbps. That is fast.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,135042/article.html

"Intel Researchers announced they have successfully demonstrated a 40Gbps optical chip, an accomplishment the company says will yield cheaper photonic integrated circuits. 'chip makers have shown a keen interest in photonic integrated circuits (PICs) over the past few years because of their ability to provide a cost-effective solution for optical communication and future optical interconnects in computing industry. There are obstacles, though: One of the key components needed for silicon PICs is the very high-speed silicon optical modulator, which is used to encode data on optical beam.'"

thats for super computers NOT home computers. that is way more than any program can use without looping such as super pi.

You can't rely on electrical pathways forever. It WILL make it to the home PCs one day and this is the beginning right here and now. We're already using interconnects that they can only imagine. Nanotechnology can make anything possible. In the 1980's, no one believe we'll ever use more than 16MB of RAM. Now look at what we're dealing with. Stuff that blow them all away if we were to go back in time.

Fiber optic cables are slowly making their way in to the average world, they are used heavily in business's now, but thats how technology always starts out because business's are the only ones that can afford it right away :D :p So I don't see why optical CPU's shouldn't come to the average users eventually.

Yes. Did I ever mention that my neighborhood now has fiber optic hookup? Courtesy of Verizon FIOS. We have fiber all the way to the house now via junction box. As soon as they're fully upgraded, we're making the switch. Optic technology is not new. Business is always the focus first and then it always trickles down to the consumers. We have touchpads, flat screens, tablet PCs, CPU cores unthinkable 10-20 years ago---but all a reality now!!!! It's unbelievable. It's funny. When I was growing up, these thick cathode tube computer monitors dominated the industry. Now, ha. All we see are thin LCD or HD flat screens. Everywhere!!!

Microsoft's surface computer is even more outstanding, but at $10,000 a piece, it's still a steep price. You guys have heard of the virtual keyboard right? Don't know how it's doing but there's a small device centered on the table where it projects in infrared layout of a keyboard onto a flat surface. Then the sensors pick up where your fingers touch and correspond it to the letter of the keyboard layout. But I feel the bases of this technology can be applied to other means. I mean, cars can literally park by themselves, lol. The Lexus LS series, OMG, it's neat to see in person!!!!

Hydrogen fuel cell cars? Yes, I predict they're next. Hybrids are booming now, making room for fuel cell in the near future. All the car manufacturers are doing R&D on this.

Let me kick it up a notch:

1) It was MIT's engineers and physicists that actually devised one of the first reliable methods for integrating this photonic circuitry onto a silicon chip.

2) Chip manufacturers are going to need to start figuring out alternate ways to squeeze out the needed performance from chips as electronic components (and the metal interconnects between them) continue to shrink in size.

"....with the successful demonstration of Intel's new silicon modulator along with the electrically pumped hybrid silicon laser, it will now be far easier to integrate multiple devices on a single chip that can transmit terabits of data per second in the near future.

In short, five years might just be about right." Then perhaps another 5-10 years before we see it on Newegg, hehe. So we're looking at a 15-20 years turnaround, hopefully. BUT, technology changes so DAMN fast, who knows. It could be here in 5-10 years.

I feel we should really applaud Intel for coming out with this tremendous breakthrough. Who's investing in Intel stocks right now? Well, don't sell because I see big things for them in the near future.

Back
Top Bottom