putting together a computer..need ur help

shagadelicman1

In Runtime
ok, well i have a "custom" computer with a gigabyte 8LD533 and im going to frys right now to get some ram adn a wireless card. i am putting in a hard drive from another computer, what problems should i face when putting in another hard drive from a different comp. i have done this before, but i just want reassurance as i am doing this for my uncle and dont want any hang-ups...thanks

umm u need the xp disk to repair it most likeyly
if u got xp still on it
unless its partioned

well if its got windows on it you will need to re activate it/repair the installation,
other than that just make sure its all wired up properly and its being detected in the bios and your a winner

The reseal method Courtesy of Buzzstpoint from computer vitals
If you are putting your harddrive with with an already installed XP system on it. As soon you turn it on it will blue screen on you.

But.
Before you shutdown your old system, if you use the "Reseal" tools you can make the OS as if you were a developer installing the system. Upon boot up of your new system if will start the "welcome" setup.

In your XP cd go here:
\SUPPORT\TOOLS\

or

Download this
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

Open the deploy.cab
Run sysprep.exe

make sure you have the "Shutdown" selected in the dropdown. Click the "reseal" button.

Dont do a darn thing. Let the computer shut down. This may take a few minutes..

Swap your part over.

Start the system and you'll see the computer will start to boot into the new user mode.
Have your cd key ready.

At the user section add a new user.. Not the same user name as you had before.. Enter the new user then log out.. Log into your old user name and you can now safely delete the "new" user you had to create

NOW, i have a bigger problem, my pc isnt even starting up, its like the power supply is bad, i checked switches and made sure everything was connected....wtfff, i drove 30 min to get ram and now that i did, the damn thing isnt starting up, any ideas, or fo sure the PS?

its never for sure in the computer world lol.

could be 6 things.

RAM
Motherboard
Processor
PSU
Case Switch
Jumpers on the motherboard

NOW, i have a problem, my pc isnt even starting up, its like the power supply is bad, i checked switches and made sure everything was connected....wtfff, i drove 30 min to get ram and now that i did, the damn thing isnt starting up, any ideas, or fo sure the PS?

take out once stick of ram, you probably got one bad stick, it happens.

i narrowed it down to the psu, and cpu, im 80% sure its the PS, and 20% cpu, so yea, ill figure it out hopefully, excuse my english in my responce..no offense to anyone

EDIT; That's OK. see post 5

Back
Top Bottom