Scam Email

rymort

In Runtime
Hi,
I'm a rookie when it comes to tracking down an IP address so I was wondering if you can help me.

Today I received a scam email asking for my account name/password on a service I subscribe to or my account would be closed. I looked at the email header and found out it was from a hotmail account and the IP I received it from. I did a ARIN search on the IP and the ISP this guy has pops up. I want to know if I can possibly get this guys phone number so I can call him up, or his address. I want to scare him off the internet by replying back to him with all his information and threatening that I filed a police report with his local police.

So far I've only gotten the ISP.

I want to know if I can possibly get this guys phone number so I can call him up, or his address. I want to scare him off the internet by replying back to him with all his information and threatening that I filed a police report with his local police.

So far I've only gotten the ISP.

Post the whole email headers. You traced it back to his ISP thats good. Now you know who is ISP is. However, the information you're trying to obtain can only be obtained by a court ordered supeona. However, if you could use some 'social engineering' on this person, and at least get his first and last name from their go to a public directory like www.peoplebot.com and run it through their. If he has anything in his name for example the phone you can easily obtain his phone number & home address. Open google and enter his physical address and click on satellite and get a visual of the persons home and really mess with him. (I DONT RECOMMEND IT) Their are a number of things you could do.

Need any help just let me know. All I need is the email headers I can do the rest. ;)

PS do the right thing save the emails he is sending you and contact the abuse department for his ISP and yours. Of course, they claim they will look into it however, they won't do anything about. But maybe warn the user. ;)

PS What you would be doing is illegal

The IP address will proberbly be that of a Microsoft server.

A simple DNS query on the IP address CAN Retrieve records to prove otherwise; which records

MX,NS,A,PTR,RP ETC...

Post the whole email headers. You traced it back to his ISP thats good. Now you know who is ISP is. However, the information you're trying to obtain can only be obtained by a court ordered supeona. However, if you could use some 'social engineering' on this person, and at least get his first and last name from their go to a public directory like www.peoplebot.com and run it through their. If he has anything in his name for example the phone you can easily obtain his phone number & home address. Open google and enter his physical address and click on satellite and get a visual of the persons home and really mess with him. (I DONT RECOMMEND IT) Their are a number of things you could do.

Need any help just let me know. All I need is the email headers I can do the rest. ;)

PS do the right thing save the emails he is sending you and contact the abuse department for his ISP and yours. Of course, they claim they will look into it however, they won't do anything about. But maybe warn the user. ;)

PS What you would be doing is illegal

A simple DNS query on the IP address CAN Retrieve records to prove otherwise; which records

MX,NS,A,PTR,RP ETC...

Maybe, But if they used webmail....? Would that show the IP address of the Computer it was sent from, or the IP of the website it was sent from...?

Maybe, But if they used webmail....? Would that show the IP address of the Computer it was sent from

Yes it would. If they used webmail then the person who signed into webmail to send the message their IP address issued to them from their ISP will be in the email headers so will the site they sent it from. It's all in the email headers. However, their are different methods and ways to spoof email headers.

Hope this helps, 0x0161

Maybe, But if they used webmail....? Would that show the IP address of the Computer it was sent from, or the IP of the website it was sent from...?

Yeah that sounds right .

Alternate plan .
Reply to the email in type 72 font saying FU*K OFF or reply saying you jerk stop wasting my time . PLease note this may make him angry and make him send more spamming crap to you but hey at least you will know you pissed him off
ALso i didnt reccomend you do this if you get caght or any other legal situations

. Seriously though i would ring his ISP and tell them to either stop it or you will contact the police department . I much prefer speaking to people than filling in faceless web forms

Alternate plan .
Reply to the email in type 72 font saying FU*K OFF or reply saying you jerk stop wasting my time . PLease note this may make him angry and make him send more spamming crap to you but hey at least you will know you pissed him off

If you reply to it he already knows he getting to you so best thing to do is dont even reply to it. Also, what do you use for email? Webmail from your ISP, gmail, hotmail Outlook or Outlook express etc...? I would just setup spam filters in OE to block 98% of the garbage.

okay, i was wondering if you can help me, i was recently scammed by a chinese man who claimed he had an abundance of wholesale Nintendo Wii's but after sending £300 over paypal it dissapeared paypal refused to help and the money was gone. i have several emails off him and have his IP address which i stole using a msn plus script "IPget". is there a way i can find out where he lives and then give that information to the police so i can get my money back?

if not no probs, but it would be nice to know

Back
Top Bottom