Famous Build Question

hockeyman4413

In Runtime
Im lookin for a new computer because my lappy isnt quite cuttin it anymore.
This is what ive got so far:

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6320 (4MB L2 Cache,1.86GHz,1066 FSB)
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vistaâ„¢ Home Premium
MONITOR 19 inch SE198WFP Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor
MEMORY 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz- 4DIMMs
HARD DRIVE 250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cacheâ„¢
OPTICAL DRIVE 16X DVD+/-RW Drive
VIDEO CARD 256MB ATI Radeon X1300 Pro
SOUND Integrated Sound Blaster®Audigy™ HD Software Edition
KEYBOARD & MOUSE Dell USB Keyboard and Dell Optical USB Mouse
FLOPPY & MEDIA READER 13 in 1 Media Card Reader
MODEM & WIRELESS Internal PCI 802.11g Wireless Network Card

Gimme suggestions/criticism on this. how long do you think a rig like this would last for an average computer person like me? i do some gaming, use programs like CAD, PS, 3ds max, and would it multi-task easily? ty in advance :)

ps... this is a dell desktop fyi

Well...I'm going to say it once again, you'd be better off building it yourself instead of using Dell. Dell tends to use...cheaper parts. We can guide you through the process.

If you can, I'd upgrade the processor to the E6420.

Definitely get 800 MHz RAM instead of 667 MHz. I don't think you really need 4 GB either, but that's up to you.

You'll probably want a better video card if you do any serious gaming or CAD.

ty for the imput, im just lookin around as of this moment. i have thought about buildin it myself and i guess i should give it more thought. so 4gb of ram is prob overkill then?

....woot, 100th post lolz

ty for the imput, im just lookin around as of this moment. i have thought about buildin it myself and i guess i should give it more thought. so 4gb of ram is prob overkill then?

....woot, 100th post lolz

It's doubble what you need, right now. A year down the road you'll be laughing at the people with 2GB only.

And yeah, build your own, and get a better CPU.

Building your own is definitely a lot better than getting a Dell, etc. For now, 2 GB is plenty. You'll want a motherboard that has the option of upgrading that in the future though.

even gamers use 2GB still. and ddr2 is still dropping in price so if you ever want 4gb of ram you could always get it later.

there is NO point in getting ddr2 667 ram. ddr2 800 is just a couple dollars more and much better and more standard.

i would you suggest building the PC yourself. its easy as long as the parts you get work. dont even need instructions even if its your first build. maybe when you need to tweak you jumpers but thats just about it

like a lot of people said, u should think about building ur own computer
one its cheaper
two its more customized instead of limited parts
three it gives u more computer building experince

Chris

Ok, that should last you say... a couple days with out any problems, but in the long run, it's going to bug the heck out of you, because that processor is bottlenecking the 4GB's of Ram.

Don't buy a Dell, if you can't build a computer, get a member you trust from the forums to build a computer for you.

yea, ive decided not to go with this particular system, i realized its downfalls. im makin my own comp with better specs. im gonna go with the intel core2 E6420. im also gonna stick with 2gigs of ram but im goin for the 800's. if i need the extra ram, ill go buy some more later on. im thinkin about goin for a cheap vid card, right now im lookin at the nVidia geforce 8600gt, can anyone tell me how this card will run? ty for the imput guys.

Back
Top Bottom