PSU problem?

Gamingfreak

Fully Optimized
Recently my computer has been locking up for no obvious reason, i get no errors or anything it just freezes. I checked all the temps and everything seems fine and i haven' t overclocked yet. So i' m starting to think its my power supply, i have an OCZ 520W which seems like enough to me but i' m not sure, what do you guys think?

what makes u think its the PSU ?

i have not heard of a PSU locking up a computer the things i would check wud b anything software or drivers first ?

scan with all anti virus / spyware in safemode
update all your drivers to the latest stable version.

then hardware i would check your hardrive and RAM first the everything else

if your PSU is older than the capacitors are aging making the efficency of the PSU to go down. apparently this has gone far enough down where its not able to power the computer.

if you dont have money for a new PSU which will be nessacary if im right then try underclocking your cpu to a E6300 speed and lower the vcore a tad and stress the machine see if it freezes

The psu isn't that old i just assumed it might not be powerfull enough for my computer. I' m updating all my drivers right now but the one thats confusing me is the intel chipset driver. I had an amd comp before this one and i would just download the chipset driver and be done with it but the intel website seems kinda confusing to me. Can anyone link the one i should be downloading please?

what makes u think its the PSU ?

i have not heard of a PSU locking up a computer the things i would check wud b anything software or drivers first ?

scan with all anti virus / spyware in safemode
update all your drivers to the latest stable version.

then hardware i would check your hardrive and RAM first the everything else

ive seen power cause computers to lock up. even happened to mine when my custom molex splitter i made came loose or something, had to resplice it.

sometimes a psu can provide enough power when the computer is idle but when it is stressed(increasing power needs) it cant provide enough power casuing compentents to fail. the first one is the power hungry CPU which causes the computer to freeze but the picture remain as the GPU refreshes(it would have enough power now that the CPU isnt using ANY power)

@gaming_freak

how are we going to give you a link if you dont tell us your motheboard:confused:

The motherboard is in my sig (ASUS P5B deluxe). I' m starting to doubt it could be my power supply since it had amazing reviews and 520W should be enough for this system i think. Its not like ive got 4 hard drives and 2 dvd drives ect.

Wow didn't know that, i don't think i have a multimeter but i do have 3 lights on the back of my psu that go green when they're at the right voltage. I also haven't had my comp freeze since i flashed my bios to the most updated one, not sure why that helps but hopefully it stays this way.

All of the OCZ 520W powersupplies are made by Topower. Knowing Topower...their QC is sketchy at best. They have really good units and units that are just crap.

If i were to replace my psu what would u guys recommend? I dont want something crazy like 1000W just something that will be stable for overclocking and can run my computer no problem.

Back
Top Bottom