XP VS Vista Gaming performance differences!

So I was curious what the actual difference was in performance between XP and Vista. I decided to run a few test benchmarks to map the difference in performance. I ran 2 tests in each one with factory defaults for the Gpu @ 513/1584 then a bench with the card overclocked @ 672/2020. I left my E6600 @ 3501Mhz and the ram @ 830Mhz for all the tests.

First off 3dMark is a synthetic benchmarking program designed to test your setup for future games. Example 3dMark06 scores would relate to 2007 games and what estimated frame rates I should be able to pull with them. Say you score 10000 3dmarks that works out to 100.00 frames per second. 7123 3dmarks would be 71.23 frames per second. So you could expect that your card should run games at your bench settings at that framerate for games out in 2007. This is why you see a new 3dmark almost every year.

Now for the test results~ (Edited in 3dmark verify pages, CPU validate also added. Note I decided to validate that today last night I took my CPU to 3525Mhz but test results are at the 3501Mhz. I also validated with my computerforums username :) To lazy to go change it in the bios back to 3501Mhz though. Also for Vista you'll see the drivers are not approved why I don't know there on Nvidia's website version 158.24)

CPU-z Validation Link

Test 1:XP Home 32bit (9,385Marks = 93.85 FPS) @ Stock GPU (3dMark06 Verify)
3dMark06XP3501MHZGPUStock.jpg

Test 2:Vista Home Premium 64bit (8,930Marks = 89.30FPS) @ Stock GPU (3dMark06 Verify)
Vista3501Mhz3dmark06.jpg

Overall XP scored a total of 455 more marks than Vista got. Or 4.55FPS Not a huge difference for the same system settings.

Now the overclocked tests running the card @ 672/2020

Test 3:XP Home 32bit (11,566Marks = 115.66FPS) @ 672/2020 GPU (3dMark06 Verify)
3dMark06XP3501MHZ672_1010.jpg

Test 4:Vista Home Premium 64bit (10,993Marks = 109.93FPS) @672/2020 GPU (3dMark06 Verify)
Vista3501Mhz3dmark06672_1010.jpg

Overall on the overclocked settings XP scored a total of 573 more marks on overclocked settings. Or a total of 5.73 FPS more than Vista.

It looks like you stand to lose roughly 5FPS on average making the switch from XP to Vista. Its hard to tell though when Nvidia comes out with new drivers they might close the gap further.

LOL well if u want a pic of my scores then it would be at about 1000-700
(THATS USING 3DMark03!!!)
Beat a 1000-700 score =P
But i never really thought it would be that big of a difference but give it a few months and it will be solved

LOL well if u want a pic of my scores then it would be at about 1000-700
(THATS USING 3DMark03!!!)
Beat a 1000-700 score =P
But i never really thought it would be that big of a difference but give it a few months and it will be solved

LOL you should run 06 and go for the lowest score! :)

Ya like you said though i'm sure the next driver should close the gap some more. I just got it 100% stable @3525Mhz so I'm sure I can clear 11k in vista now.

hmm u think there is a reason he using that screen capture software and not jus print screen or even the MS snipping tool ?

his comp is one of the best on the forum. jealousy...

TY!
Nice Comparison...Nice computer too
TY!

hmm u think there is a reason he using that screen capture software and not jus print screen or even the MS snipping tool ?

Yes there is a reason I use a capture tool. I've never been able to get the print screen to work. I don't understand why it doesn't work i'll hit PrtScn button but it will not do anything. So I found that super screen capture.

Rather curious whats the MS snipping tool?

Yes there is a reason I use a capture tool. I've never been able to get the print screen to work. I don't understand why it doesn't work i'll hit PrtScn button but it will not do anything. So I found that super screen capture.

Rather curious whats the MS snipping tool?

the MS snipping tool is on vista

goto start accesories and its in there its a very cool little tool also u know when u hit the print screen button u have to go into a program like paint and paste it ?

give it a shot im not telling u not to use other tools but jus curious if it does work or not.

snipping tool on vista = start / all programs / accessories / snipping tool

Print screen = hit the prt sc button / open up paint start / all programs / accessories / paint and hit CTRL + V or edit and click paste.

give it a shot and tell us wot happened jus curious

Back
Top Bottom