Which PSU brands are good?

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103
That list is very good. It will tell you the good from the bad ;)

To be perfectly honest, I thought that the guy came across as kind of pompous.

But maybe that's because I spent good money on a PSU that he placed in Tier 4?

Anyway, I can't see much use for anything beyond the 750 watts that I bought, yet all his top PSU's seem to be 800 or <.

And why are the Tier 4's Tier 4's? He gives bullet point specs on each without detailing why they're inferior. Then he refers to people that might "whine" about his rankings as "nimrods".

Jonny Guru? More like Jonny Jackass...

Jonny Guru may be pompous, but his reviews are damned good. Very reliable and unbiased. I do agree that he does review rather high-end PSU's though. Then again PSUs aren't something to skimp out on, so if you're going to buy one, you should always get the best you can.

Jonny Guru may be pompous, but his reviews are damned good. Very reliable and unbiased. I do agree that he does review rather high-end PSU's though. Then again PSUs aren't something to skimp out on, so if you're going to buy one, you should always get the best you can.

Granted, I read several of his reviews and they are very detailed and informative. But frankly, my budget can't absorb a PSU that exceeds $150.

I understand the importance of the PSU, but bigger doesn't necessarily equal better. I shopped around, read reviews and got a good deal on a 750w Toughpower.

Ya know what? It works like a champ.

Anyway, I can't see much use for anything beyond the 750 watts that I bought, yet all his top PSU's seem to be 800 or <.

And why are the Tier 4's Tier 4's? He gives bullet point specs on each without detailing why they're inferior. Then he refers to people that might "whine" about his rankings as "nimrods".

He's one out of 2 people I have seen that truly know what their talking about, he also reviews soem mid range PSU's on his website.

http://www.custompc.co.uk/labs/category/psus

Fully comprehensive head to head labs test. Hope that helps.

Those reviews don't seem to touch the extremely important parts, however they are better than the rest

Granted, I read several of his reviews and they are very detailed and informative. But frankly, my budget can't absorb a PSU that exceeds $150.

I understand the importance of the PSU, but bigger doesn't necessarily equal better. I shopped around, read reviews and got a good deal on a 750w Toughpower.

Bigger doesn't mean better, and he's reviewed some real nice 500 wattish psu's.

depastino, usually when the big brother of powersupplies, lets say the Toughpower 1kw, performes well, you can assume that its younger will perform almost exactly the same. And for those of you that can't afford psus >$150, there's a list for you too ;) http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1460

Why? Its because some people stand by a certain brand no matter what. Some people refuse to buy anything but Corsair for RAM, or OCZ for powersupplies, or AMD for cpus. Why should people thread crap on his forum? IMO, he has all the right to call the fanboys nimrods. If you read the in depth reviews of each power supply, you will see that Enhance does very poorly above a certain wattage, regulation is horrible. And that some companies choose to skimp out on some things. Thats why they're tier 4 and not higher. If they can have tighter regulation, higher quality parts, better OEMs, then they can move up in the higher tiers.

The 650 watt Silverstone Zeus is only $110 on newegg buddy...much cheaper and better than your 750 watt Thermaltake.

Why? Its because some people stand by a certain brand no matter what. Some people refuse to buy anything but Corsair for RAM, or OCZ for powersupplies, or AMD for cpus. Why should people thread crap on his forum? IMO, he has all the right to call the fanboys nimrods. If you read the in depth reviews of each power supply, you will see that Enhance does very poorly above a certain wattage, regulation is horrible. And that some companies choose to skimp out on some things. Thats why they're tier 4 and not higher. If they can have tighter regulation, higher quality parts, better OEMs, then they can move up in the higher tiers.

All the tier 4 are great their, they just don't have as much power as the other tiers.

Back
Top Bottom