Geeking Out My Dorm Room

karling07

Daemon Poster
Hey everyone, I'm gonna be heading to college this Fall and I need some advice on utilizing technology in it :)

First of all, let me tell you what I have already at home:
HP 17" Entertainment Laptop With Vista/TV Tuner w/ Remote
Two full desktop computers (fast, with XP)
One 19" Flat Screen Monitor
3 17" CRTs (ew)
5.1 surround speakers (probably useless in a small dorm room)
External HD 500GB with movies/tv shows
iPod 30 gig
Wireless Headphone Set (big headphones, covers full ear)
Wireless G Range Router

And the room setup:
Fast Ethernet Connection (maybe connect to a router for wireless in my room?)
Cable connection with like 200 channels
Two beds, lofted up with desks underneath (to save space)
Two windows

Soo any ideas? I'm really open to anything, I just want to make the room more fun. I was thinking to keep the laptop on my desk (and take it out whenever I leave or need it for class), and connect the 19" flatscreen to the monitor output on my laptop, wire it up high on the wall and use a wall mount so that it faces my bed (which is up high). Only problem is no screwing or drilling stuff into dorm walls... any way on getting around this?

Only other thing is just if I should even bring the extra desktop PCs or if theyll just take up space for nothing

Thanks!

lol theres a lot of funny stuff on that page - but by geeky i meant more technology-oriented than smart-alec funny stuff hahaha

and utilizing the stuff i already own

I saw this thing, where you push a button, and your whole dorm is set up for a party (light up floor, lights, and music.) you should so do that.d and charge admission...

You are going to carry a 17" notebook to your classes? I got a 15" notebook (weighing 6ish pounds) and I wouldn't carry that to too many places constantly. When I go to college I will be getting a 12" notebook...

nah carrying it isnt a problem for me - its brand new so it's not too bulky - only like 6.5 pounds and i just carry it in my backpack

I'm not talking about bulky, I'm talking about size, 17" isn't exactly small and portable... Maybe a lot more so than a desktop, but not something I would want to carry around a lot. If you want to, whatever...

yeah thats understandable - i mean, if it doesn't fit on the desks then i definitely have a problem. but i'll be studying CS at school, so I'm sure there are plenty others like me with their massive notebooks lol

Back
Top Bottom