Building a gaming rig

I've also got a few more questions, haha.
According to wikipedia, the best setup for the core2duo (1066 fsb, it didnt say anything about the 1333) is ddr2 pc2 4200 ram...but the ram has to be 533 for pc2 4200. many people have suggested 667 ram, but wikipedia says pc2 5300 can actually slow performance. I would like to have a E6750 because it seems the best bang for the buck. I am really just confused as hell when it comes to differences in ram and mobos. I really need help there.
Here is the clip from wiki, and the link:
"Unlike the previous Pentium 4 and Pentium D design, the Core 2 technology sees a greater benefit from memory running synchronously with the Front Side Bus (FSB). This means that for the Conroe CPUs with FSB of 1066 MT/s, the ideal memory speed is PC2-4200. In some configurations, using PC2-5300 can actually decrease performance. Only when going to PC2-6400 is there a significant performance increase. While expensive DDR2 memory models with tighter timings do improve performance, the difference in real world games and applications is negligible."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_2_duo#Successors

And what do you think, which vid card should I get? The msi is overclocked but $10 more, alot of reviewers said it came with company of heroes, but I can't find anywhere it says that. I also trust evga.

EVGA 640-P2-N821-AR GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130071

MSI NX8800GTS-T2D640E-HD OC GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127280

I have never oc'd but I am not opposed to it...

Dude what ever u do dont the IceMat's !!! Get the Senhaisers 555's they like around $115 on newegg or emazon. I have them for 1 year now and they are great! Great reviews!!! And IceMats they break alot!

I've also got a few more questions, haha.
According to wikipedia, the best setup for the core2duo (1066 fsb, it didnt say anything about the 1333) is ddr2 pc2 4200 ram...but the ram has to be 533 for pc2 4200. many people have suggested 667 ram, but wikipedia says pc2 5300 can actually slow performance. I would like to have a E6750 because it seems the best bang for the buck. I am really just confused as hell when it comes to differences in ram and mobos. I really need help there.
Here is the clip from wiki, and the link:
"Unlike the previous Pentium 4 and Pentium D design, the Core 2 technology sees a greater benefit from memory running synchronously with the Front Side Bus (FSB). This means that for the Conroe CPUs with FSB of 1066 MT/s, the ideal memory speed is PC2-4200. In some configurations, using PC2-5300 can actually decrease performance. Only when going to PC2-6400 is there a significant performance increase. While expensive DDR2 memory models with tighter timings do improve performance, the difference in real world games and applications is negligible."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_2_duo#Successors

And what do you think, which vid card should I get? The msi is overclocked but $10 more, alot of reviewers said it came with company of heroes, but I can't find anywhere it says that. I also trust evga.

EVGA 640-P2-N821-AR GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130071

MSI NX8800GTS-T2D640E-HD OC GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127280

I have never oc'd but I am not opposed to it...

Ok, what this means is that the Core 2 Duo would see the best performance from running the Front Side Bus at the same frequency as the Memory bus. This is basically because the chip set will never be waiting on neither the CPU or the Memory FSB to "catch up" on each other for transferring information. Simply, it's more efficient in real life and is the same with all CPU's.

The Core 2 Duo come in 3 flavours of FSB. 800MHz, 1066MHz and 1333Mhz. Because the memory you will be using will be set up in dual channel (I hope you'll set it up like this anyway), each channel (and hence the memory) needs to run at half this speed (400, 533 and 666MHz respectively). Right, this is why I'd decide to go the E4300 route. The E4300 CPU is more or less the exact same as a E6xxx series CPU but with a lower FSB (800MHz opposed to 1066MHz or 1333MHz) BUT, and a very important BUT for overclocking, has a higher Clock Multiplier. All the Core 2 Duo CPU's are multiplier locked that means you cant overclock a C2D by upping the clock multiplier, and can only overclock my changing the FSB. I can garrantee that an E4300 CPU will run with the FSB upped from 800MHz to 1066, meaning it running from 1.8GHz to 2.4GHz giving you a cheap E6600. Mines run all the way up to 1.44GHz FSB giving me an overclock from 1.8GHz to 3.25GHz without changing any voltages and on stock cooling (never above 40 degrees). Not bad. See my Sig.

In either case, get memory that will run at half the effective FSB of the CPU, overclocked or not. Memory can always be run slower than specified, so get what your aiming for if overclocking.

Note, some may say that the E4300 only come with 2MB cache compared to some E6xxx series CPU's 4MB, thats true, but benchmarks rule out any performance differences.

Back to the graphics card thing. I'd seriously not go the DX10 route. 28 frames a second average (meaning a lower FPS of probably 14FPS) is not decent enough for gaming. Other reviews (can't find my magazine at the moment) I've read show up for a 5 fold speed difference between Direct X9 and DX10 enabled games - none being playable. I don't see how you can justify spending almost 3 times the ammount of money on a graphics card that plays all DirectX9 games just the same as a X1950XTX but stutters and struggles with DX10 games. IMHO, go for X1950XTX and upgrade to the next gen DX10 GFX cards when they're releaed. That way, you'll actually get to use it for what you've bought it for. SIMPLE: All current DX10 cards suck at playing DX10 games. fact. so why buy it for that?

Anyway, hope that helps.

wow that actually makes a lot of sense, and you make it very easy to understand. I think I will do that. Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom