An SATA DVD Drive.

For me there is no point to buy ultra fast drives.

Why ??

Well if we want to copy data from cd or dvd to hdd this drive will be faster that hard drive writing speed (25 - 50 MB/s).

About burning cd or dvds.

Well yes it will be faster but faster writing = more errors and not all drives can read data written with max speed.

The time diference between this and other is realy for cd about few seconds and for dvd about a minute.

For me its just a waste of money if u have one already.

If u dont for this price is very nice new "toy".

I want one just to get rid of the gray ribbon. It will be easier for me when my case modding is all done and good.

I agree there. Maybe it will be a little faster, but not dramatical. I think it still would be great for space saving, but speedwise, a little faster, cache and seek speaking.

And, to add to Chris's three advantages, in most cases, SATA is hot swappable. It even goes to eSATA.

you can unplug a SATA drive while the computer is on?

Yeah, I do this all the time (And you can hotplug power, but its not advised, sometimes it can freak out the PSU and your computer reboots).

Also, it's possible to hotswap IDE (Not supposed to, can cause problems), and you need to disable the controller before doing it, which will kick off any other IDE drives.

Well, when I built my new rig I bought a SATA hard drive and a SATA dvd-rw drive simply because I have 2 older IDE hard drives that I wanted to install into my pc and the sata dvd drive left my one ide channel for the ide hard drives. I got a samsung black 18x dvd drive and it's been pretty good, other than the short delay from when you put the cd in to when it finally spins up (which I'm hoping a firmware upgrade will fix) it's been good. Haven't noticed a speed change though, thats alright.

Back
Top Bottom