An SATA DVD Drive.

Are they that much faster than the IDE drives? I'm going to be stealing the SATA optical drive from my dad's HP (shhh) for the IDE one I have now.

i dont think there any faster at the moment if u look at the burn and read speeds of dvd RW drives then i dont think there any different from Pata drives ?

Soo in terms of airflow would it be better because the case im getting has an Exhaust fan on the top? And i like everything in a round cable or smaller :D

OOOOO my AVG just picked up a Trojan :D

In terms of airflow, it will improve it slightly, however if the IDE ribbon cable is installed correctly and efficently, the difference will be negliable. As for the speed, there is no difference and never will be with removable DVD and CD disc storage. The bottleneck there is not the interface but the actual speed of the drive itself.

Hope that helps.

I was thinking that since SATA is going great how much of a difference would it be in speed and air flow for a DVD drive to b in SATA

I was looking at this and it looks nice :D
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135146

Their would be no speed difference. Most IDE DVD-RW drives run at ATA66 speeds anyways. DVD's are too slow to take advantage of SATA, period.

However, their are 3 advantages.
1: SATA is new standard, their are IDE free motherboards.
2: SATA is becoming cheaper than IDE (Believe it already is, but due to volumes of IDE optical drives out their, we've yet to see SATA be cheaper than IDE)
3: SATA has better airflow.

I agree there. Maybe it will be a little faster, but not dramatical. I think it still would be great for space saving, but speedwise, a little faster, cache and seek speaking.

And, to add to Chris's three advantages, in most cases, SATA is hot swappable. It even goes to eSATA.

I agree there. Maybe it will be a little faster, but not dramatical. I think it still would be great for space saving, but speedwise, a little faster, cache and seek speaking.

And, to add to Chris's three advantages, in most cases, SATA is hot swappable. It even goes to eSATA.

you can unplug a SATA drive while the computer is on?

For me there is no point to buy ultra fast drives.

Why ??

Well if we want to copy data from cd or dvd to hdd this drive will be faster that hard drive writing speed (25 - 50 MB/s).

About burning cd or dvds.

Well yes it will be faster but faster writing = more errors and not all drives can read data written with max speed.

The time diference between this and other is realy for cd about few seconds and for dvd about a minute.

For me its just a waste of money if u have one already.

If u dont for this price is very nice new "toy".

Back
Top Bottom