Should I get a new motherboard...

dan7777

In Runtime
Hi,

My mate has just given me an nvidia geforce 6800. I'm currently using:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8S661FXM-775
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 530J, 3000 MHz (15 x 200)
RAM: 2048 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
Graphics: ATI Radeon 9250

I don't have pci express with my current mobo, so I'm wondering whether I should buy a cheap motherboard to replace my current one so that I can use my new gpu.

What do you guys think? Should I bother? I don't really game much, but I do fancy having windows aero theme run for vista (which my current gpu cant handle).

I'm only looking to spend around £30 for a new board. Is this being too cheap, making it not worth upgrading? Any suggestions?

Cheers!!!

well the question is how much do u want the new graphics card in your computer

personally i think you shudnt i mean nowa days £30 isnt alot of money but u can get a cheap 775 motherboard for that and with tomorrows C2D price cuts pick up a cheap CPU aswell i no i no u dont want a whole new computer but if it was me i wud save my money for new 775 mobo and new processor.

u can get motherboards at the mo which support both ddr and ddr2 RAM therefore u wudnt need the money for new RAM yet u jus wud need new processor and new motherboard i reckon tomorrow u could get a cheap motherboard and E4300 for £100 tomorrow

so its upto you

I would pick up a Core 2 Duo and Pentium 4 compatible board, so that way later on down the road you can pick up a Core 2 Duo and get more performance. You are going to need DDR2, because Core 2 Duo runs with DDR2, not DDR.

I would pick up a Core 2 Duo and Pentium 4 compatible board, so that way later on down the road you can pick up a Core 2 Duo and get more performance. You are going to need DDR2, because Core 2 Duo runs with DDR2, not DDR.

depends if his P4 is a socket 775. If it's 478, that wouldn't work. Both of my P4's are 478, but my brother's is a 775, so it depends what he's got.

i can run aero and i have the same gfx as you. have you even tried it yet? might be because i have a much better cpu though i dunno

A core 2 duo could use DDR.

Back
Top Bottom