Looking for some help with a RAM problem.

allanmunro

Solid State Member
Have a DELL Dimension 4600 which I have been adding RAM to.
Original machine had 2no. 256 and a few weeks ago I put a new 512 into slot three with no problems. On boot up machine showed 1GB.

Recently purchased 1Gb and tried to install...didn't register it at all. Tried it by itself, with other chipsets etc etc, but still no luck. Returned said item as faulty as a friend gave me a 256 and it was recognised by the system.

Ran a check on crucial for my system and it notes all slots can have 1GB in them so very strange.

Got a new 1GB RAM today (21st July 2007) and have installed with same result as previously...just not recognising it.

Anyone got any ideas/tips/hints/solutions for me...and before you say it...yes I have checked they are all properly seated.

Many thanks in advance of replies.

Allan Munro

It's call a memory matrix. Not just any card or set of cards will work correctly. Check the owners manual or go to the makers web site to see what cards work in what size and order.

yh wot brand of memory are u using?

dells in particular are very picky about what ram they will accept

best bet is goto crucial website and buy the ram they tell u

Thanks for the advice.

Setishock
Not sure about the memory matrix stuff and how to check for this on my system. Any help would be appreciated.

ssc456
Bought the RAM from e-bay. A bunch called fastmemoryman who seemed to suggest in the posting that they organised the stuff so that it was wholly and more compatible than other suppliers. Guess thats not the case.
Not sure what the brand is as theyb say they programme all modules themselves. Should I be worried and send this back? It doesn't look like it'll work.

Cheers for now.

Ok I'll use my p4 box for an exsample.
For me to get to 1gb I have to either use 4 256 or 2 512 or 1gb. To get to 4gb which it will handle, I have to use 4 1gb sticks. That's the memory matrix.
What different sizes you use to reach a certian amount of memory and what slots you put them in is important.
As for Dell being picky, I have to agree. My e521 came with two sticks of ddr2 667 ram. I added 2 sticks more from a local dealer yesterday. It took a good while to reconfigure itself before it would boot on up. Made my heart miss a few beats. But now it works. My point is if I want to go to the max which is 4gb also, I will have to use 4 1gb sticks of ram.

Ok I'll use my p4 box for an exsample.
For me to get to 1gb I have to either use 4 256 or 2 512 or 1gb. To get to 4gb which it will handle, I have to use 4 1gb sticks. That's the memory matrix.
What different sizes you use to reach a certian amount of memory and what slots you put them in is important.
As for Dell being picky, I have to agree. My e521 came with two sticks of ddr2 667 ram. I added 2 sticks more from a local dealer yesterday. It took a good while to reconfigure itself before it would boot on up. Made my heart miss a few beats. But now it works. My point is if I want to go to the max which is 4gb also, I will have to use 4 1gb sticks of ram.

In conjunction with thread started above.(July 21st 2007)

Have been told by RAM suppliers that the problem with my RAM is that my machine only accepts 'low density' and not the 'high density' supplied by them.

Is this something anyone has ever heard off before?

Once again, any help would be much appreciated.

Allan Munro

I would just send it back and order from somewhere like crucial who guarantee 100% compatability with your system.

Back
Top Bottom