RAM Upgrade and Vid Card

Lord Mythirion

In Runtime
My brother has a 7-year-old hp computer with 256mb RAM. It supports up to 1gb of RAM. Will he notice a large performance jump if I upgrade it to 512? to 1GB? And he currently has integrated graphics, so i'm thinking of putting an fx5200 in it. What sort of games is an fx5200 capable of? The computer has an AMD Athlon XP 200+ processor

ty

stick at least 512 perferably 1gb of ram in there and the fx5200 and it will be able to run counter strike on lower settings :D UT2004 will run on that too. hmm WoW would work, NFSMW might work too on the lowest settings.

i have a radeon 9250 which is PCI that use to run in a computer with simmilar specs to that just a 1.2ghz athlon and 512ram upgraded from 256(think the guy i bought i from upgraded to 256 from 128). ANYWAYS that whole system use to run on a 130 watt PSU.

Hmm, ok ty. How is it's performance? My bro wants to start playing games like Guild Wars, and if it could run it at low-mid settings it would be cool. I'm thinking radeon 9550 though.

Windows XP/2000/ME/98
Intel Pentium III 1.0 GHz or equivalent
512 MB RAM
CD-ROM Drive
3 GB Available HDD Space
ATI Radeon 8500 or GeForce 3 Series Video Card with 64MB of VRAM
16-bit Sound Card
Internet connection
Keyboard and mouse
DirectX 8

those are the minium specs for GW. should be able to play the games i mentioned before aswell

Ok cool. Will he notice a performance jump after I upgrade his RAM? The vid card might have to wait, but will RAM make a huge difference?

in games YES. if will notice less lag at certain points when you would have to normaly re-cache(like a loading screen). in a RTS you will be able to have much more action\units before the game will lag(if it does).

in windows you MIGHT but i doubt it. if you run a lot of backround programs then you will

512 is good. Make sure the ram you put in is the same specs as what is in there now. Adding another 256 stick will suffice. if you're going to stick with the onboard vid for now go in the bios and up the shared ram to the next step up.

my brother plays guild wars on my old hp and plays it fine, can't remember exactly but it has something like a 1.7 ghz sempron processor, 1 gb of ram, a 64 mb graphics card(radeon something), 4,200 rpm hd. The computer you mentioned should have no problems playing it.

Back
Top Bottom