Blocking p2p file sharing programs

DemonHunter1111

Solid State Member
Hello,

Well the title says it all :). I am trying to block access from everyone at my home to download anything from bearshare, morpheus, limewire...ect because of a massive amount of viruses, spyware and trojans. Is there a particular port that these p2p file sharing programs use that i can forward or block in the router. I have a Linksys WRT54G.

I initially wanted to block certain P2P file sharing websites, such as bearshare, by editing the HOSTS file and uninstalling bearshare. This however would not solve the problem because this program could be downloaded pretty much anywhere online. I am also pretty sure that there is no way to block all access within the program's options. Please help!! I am sick of cleaning this computer because of abuse to these programs. Thanks.

These are the ports you'll need to block:

Gnutella Network (Limewire, Bearshare, etc.) - 6346-6347
Kazaa - 1214

Some clients (Ares, Morpheus) use random ports. You'll have to go into the configuration for the program to find out what port they're using.

hmm ok. I am also thinking of setting up some kind of permission to outright block any user from installing anything (other than the admin of course). Could that be done through Xp's User Accounts?

you would need some sort of program to set these kind of permissions. microsoft had a good one but they updated it now its crap. just google around for one.
i would personally block the ports they use and set a password that only you know on the router. if it carries on then get a program and restrict all the accounts except yours

if you set the other user accounts as limited (when you create an account it asks you if you want it to be an admin account or a limited one) then I don't think they can install any programs.
Not sure though, I've never been on a limited account, but the windows info about the different accounts said that admins can install programs and devices, others cannot.

So give that a try.

Write down the programs there using and then go into your firewall and block the INTERNET access to them in there, you will need to somehow password protect the program to stop them changing it back, maybe in user accounts in xp or something.

Most P2P programs use configurable or random ports and your best option is to block the defaults on your router. Maek sure your router has a sercure password that only you know and make sure your monitoring traffic using your router logs.

Your other option is to set up Windows Firewall or something similar and block every program except what you want and lock it down so the users can't accept programs you don't approve of so the traffic gets blocked at Layer 8 and not at the router.

Back
Top Bottom