new PC Build

my parents want me to build them a new pc on a budget of around $800 (AUD)

Would this be alright:
Generic ATX Case
ASUS M2N8 MOTHERBOARD
AMD ATHLON 4800+ Dual Core
1GB DDR2 Memory 667MHZ
(not sure what brand) 550W PSU
-Will use Existing HDD-
-Will Use Existing Combo drive-
nVidia Geforce 8500GT 256MB GDDR2 PCI-E
ACER 19" AL1916WD WIDESCREEN TFT LCD MONITOR 5MS DVI
-Use Exisitng Mouse and KB-

I Can get all this for $830 (AUD),im pretty sure all of this would work no problems,but just to be on the safe side,what do you guys think?

Looks good . i take it they are not gaming hence the 8500 and only 1gb ram .
If they are just like my parents who generaly just use the internet play solitare then type a letter every so often then that system looks more than capable of that

maybe downgrade the cpu. a 4800+ is overkill for any general app. generally a 3600+ to a 4200+ is sufficent.

Yeah, get like a 3800+. My "family" PC has that in it, works great, even with Vista.

You definitely don't need a 550 watt PSU. 400 watts would be MORE than enough. 300 watts is the minimum for a system with an 8500GT. Instead of wasting money on extra wattage, just get a quality 400 watt PSU from Silverstone or Antec. That will be much more reliable and last a lot longer than a no name 550 watt PSU.

The only reason why for the 550w psu i because it's being thrown in with the case,and the 4800+ because it's being thrown in with the Motherboard for free.Also my parent like to do a little gaming (Mainly my dad,just the need for speed series and flight simulator) so this pc should do this no problem.If the CPU and the PSU Wherent being thrown in for free,i would get 3800+ as freestyler says,or maybe a intel celeron 2.8Ghz,and if the PSU didnt come free i would put a 400w psu in it (I have heaps of them in my shed lol).Thanks for all your input!

I doubt it would be 40+ FPS. The 8500GT is a pretty bad card, lol.

Anyway, it looks good overall, should be a nice build for them.

Get a Pentium 4 HT

That has got to be the worst suggestion I have seen on this forum for as long as I have been here. A 500W powersupply is more than enough. Something along the lines of Antec NeoPower 500HE is plenty and it has the build quality of a great power supply. Antec really did learn their lesson with those SmartPowers.

Back
Top Bottom