Wanting to run wires through my house.

ChampMark

Baseband Member
I would like to wire the house completely with an in wall setup, with a jack in every room.

Beings I'm still thinking of cat5's as what I should use, I've not been keeping up with wiring and so forth.

I've already got a 4 port wired/wireless linksys all programmed etc.

I just am gonna rerun wires (they're on the floor, and the animals seem to have a knack for chewing them in half :(....)

So this time, I'm gonna run'em in the walls.

I'll be doing my own personal research, but if somebody has done this recently I wouldn't complain.

Now just to let you know I wanna install jacks, not have a cable coming through the drywall. I want it to look perfect (or close to perfect).

Thanks!

And any suggestions on if I should run it from the top or bottom of the house... Thanks again!

It lags while gaming.

The cards cost to much, and they're still not packetloss proof.

I like using my Lan simply for performance.

However I do have a wireless network for my two laptops.

And it's a whole lot more safe relying on a lan, then wireless. It's pretty easy to crack most peoples network without them even knowing it. So keeping it safe is another reason.

Mines as safe as you can get, but kicking up the encryption will then again add more latency.

I just pinged my wireless laptop and it hit 74ms, while the rest being 1ms.

Just goes to show you wireless isn't always the answer to gaming.

I'm gonna network the house with cat6 I guess.

Since it's double the mhz to cat5 lol. Glad I read a bit.

i had a feeling you were going to say gaming. yea wireless isnt ideal. it is impossible to hack if you are just a standard home user. if you happen to randomly have a hacker live near you then your a bit screwed :p .. well my neighbour is a bit screwed. her mac filtering isnt working too well, thats all im saying. wired is better performance i agree. as for the wiring i cant really help you there, except make sure its all hooked up properly otherwise it will be a bit of a pain to re do

It's not really that hard. Here's a decent guide:
http://www.engadget.com/2006/08/22/how-to-run-your-own-network-wiring/

For a cleaner look, drill some holes through the wall where you want it to come out, screw an RJ45 face plate over it, and you're set. You can probably find the right face plates at your local hardware store.

My basement has one of those removable tiles ceilings, so it's pretty easy to run cables.

As for wireless security, this program gets around WEP easily, and WPA with just a little more difficulty:
http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php

Here is a diagram that might shed more light on what I'm wanting to do.

I want it to be as clean and as professional as possible. I'm gonna install the wires in a cabinet, so you wont see the router etc.

6h7lu6o.jpg

P.S.

I'm not to worried with the tools as long as they work. It's not like I'm gonna be using them on a regular basis.

Back
Top Bottom