Possibly the best motherboard today?

for gaming i would pass on that between the fact that has a good 4 slots ddr2 but only has 2 ddr3 slots. in the future which was what this board was made for you would need 2gb sticks to reach what will become the new gaming standard of 4gb

2 x PCI-E x16 (blue @ x16 mode, black @ x4 or x1 mode)

that means when you run SLi only 1 of the slots will get full 16x. the other one will only get 4x or a pittful 1x. not good for gaming.

for your needs lhuser it should be nice. i know you dont game so sli dosent matter and your not into hardcore rendereding so 8gb ram is good.

thank your parents for buying you that kind of PC.

Personally, I wouldn't get it. DDR3 isn't really developed enough yet, and DDR2 provides awesome speeds still.

I wouldn't want a motherboard with both. Save the space for more PCI slots, etc and just use one or the other. I'm pretty sure it can't use both at once anyway...

The P5K range doesn't support SLi only Crossfire so no need to worry about that, I did consider that board for my build but ended up getting the P5K vanilla for now so that when DDR3 becomes cheaper I'll just swap it out for a P5K3 or whatever is the latest and greatest chipset.

hmmm....you need to be able to buy this right? I would say the P5K3 deluxe or the ABIT IP-35 pro. I would choose the ABIt over the ASUS anyday. There isn't much to choose from as of right now. But...the best motherboard that I've seen to date is the DFI P35-T2R
11824141930xg2.jpg

that is photoshoped. NO WAY could you reach 4.4ghz even on a C2D. even with phase change cooling just not enough stablity. besides the voltage is way too low for the core to be that high.

that is photoshoped. NO WAY could you reach 4.4ghz even on a C2D. even with phase change cooling just not enough stablity. besides the voltage is way too low for the core to be that high.
The voltage is low, but judging by the multiplier being at 7 the CPU throttled itself back while idle...mine does the same thing.

And people have gotten Core 2 Duos well over 5 GHz...hell AnandTech got an E6600 over 4 GHz on air:
http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2795&p=18

Back
Top Bottom