Ok this is my 1st thread on the website :]

My computer has the following components:

-Intel Pentium 4 640 Prescott
-Asus P5VDC-MX (Rev 2.0)
-2GB Kingston DDRII 667
-Usicase 450w Power Supply
-WD IDE 200GB HDD (Master)
-SG IDE 80GB HDD (Slave)

This CPU runs at 3.2GHz stock. I've so far managed to o'c it to 3.6 using the stock HSF which is really good and it cools my CPU really well. I havn't raised the voltage but only increased FSB to 225. At 3.6, it idles at around 24-29c.

I want to achieve 3.8GHz but when i try, I can get the speed but Windows won't load. I'm using Windows Vista Ultimate. At 3.8GHz, it idles at around 30c in BIOS. I need help to why Windows Vista Ultimate won't load up at 3.8GHz. I'm using onboard video but getting a Gigabyte GeForce 6600GT this weekend.

I play games such as Audition and at 3.6 the computer will freeze after only 5 minutes into the game. So i dropped the clock to 3.44 and played. When I got out if Audition the temp readings showed 41c at this speed! Why does my comp freeze at only 3.6GHz? People have managed to get out over 4GHz on their computers. I use Asus PC Probe II to monitor temps.

Maybe I will be able to o'c it more when i get a graphics card but I don't think thats the problem that holds me back from o'cing to 3.8GHz.

Please Help! Cheers

First of all, you can't be expecting huge overclocks with the stock HSF.

Idle temperatures don't mean a thing. Temperatures under load are what matter. By the looks of things, your computer isn't even stable at 3.6 GHz right now. Run Prime95, and monitor temperatures the whole time. You should see them skyrocket:
http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

A graphics card won't matter in overclocking.

if it isnt stable raise the voltage. i know your on the stock HSF but when P4's get too hot they can throttle themselves down before they overheat. ive seen a video of a guy who pulled the HSF off while playing quake. the P4 survived by throttling it self down

for a prescott, go buy yourself a custom build phase unit that can hold 150W @ -100*C. haha. Just kidding. Go out and buy the best cooler that is suited for you socket. It will help cool that prescott. Raise northbridge voltage, cpu voltage and RAM. run DDR-400 so it is 1:1

should be somewhere in the bios usually where you raise the FSB..probably called vcore or core voltage

be sparing with i tho . only a small raise say .025 can do the trick

ok ive seen the vcore thing hundreads of times! but when i press enter on it...its does nothing :( it only gives me 2 options, 'ignored' or the current voltage setting which is around 1.31v to 1.38v

on my motherboard it has a setting for auto. i use manual as im heavily OCed but at idle my vcore is 1.39 and at load it is 1.42. this helps my cpu stay a chilly 15c idle :)

there are programs to change vcore in windows but i dont reccomend them

EDIT: dont ask why i need the vcore upped so far...my motherboard sucks but people have my chip running at my speed at stock vcore

Back
Top Bottom