Dell laptop

TRDCorolla1

Golden Master
Would you consider buying a Dell laptop? Please state why or why not. I have $1400 to spend right now and I'm getting ready to order sometime this week, pending decisions.

Check out this configuration. All this for only $1,147:

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7300 (2.00GHz) 4M L2 Cache, 800MHz Dual Core

OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vistaâ„¢ Business, with media

LCD PANEL 14.1 inch Wide Screen WXGA LCD Panel

MEMORY 1.0GB, DDR2-667 SDRAM, 2 DIMMS

HARD DRIVE 80GB Hard Drive, 9.5MM, 7200RPM

OPTICAL DRIVE 8X DVD+/-RW w/Roxio and Cyberlink Power DVDâ„¢

VIDEO CARD Intel® Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X3100

WI-FI WIRELESS CARD Dell Wirelessâ„¢ 1390 802.11g Mini Card

BATTERY 9 Cell Primary Battery
PRIMARY POWER OPTIONS 90W A/C Adapter
WARRANTY & SERVICE 3 Year Limited Warranty plus 3 Year Mail-in Service
HARD DRIVE PARTITION Custom Hard Drive Partition, 40GB Primary, Remainder Secondary
Ship Group US - System Documentation, Power Cord
OS Labels Vista Premium Label
Miscellaneous Latitude D630
BACKUP OS DRIVERS AND SYSTEM DOCUMENTATION No System Documentation

I have to say, it's pretty impressive for all this to be at that cost. Usually in stores, you find this config to be around $1500+ easily.

Go for it . Our school had some dell laptops and they survived a real good beating and worked pretty well for general office tasks . Also they looked pretty good at the same time .
The only thing i see wrong with that is the graphics but if you dont game no biggie and maybe an other gig of ram for vista

i just bought the 1520 and with the 2.0ghz core 2 and the 256mb 8600 it gets much higher 3d marks then the xps

The only thing that config doesn't have is a media card reader which I really need. Looks like the Latitude models don't carry those because I guess Dell think "they're too high and mighty and perhaps too busy" to be sharing media with an SD card. Or they probably think most people uses USB flash drives, but still, how the hell do they expect people with digital camera to upload their pictures?

I may have to look at the Inspiron or the XPS model like Zaki God. But so far so good for Dell laptop ratings. I can see their desktop models aren't getting any favors from anyone here, lol.

you can always buy an external card reader...i still think the 1520 is a better deal. the xps can only go up to a 128mg vid card

How does that external card reader work? You plug it in to the USB port on the laptop? I've actually never seen those.

The main reason why I chose the Latitude line is because they're thin and lightweight. I don't do gaming on laptops which is why I don't really need top of the line video controllers or CPU. I could get away with 1GB and a smaller hard drive since it won't be used for multimedia stuff too much. I'll just dump everything on my external drive. But let me look up the 1520. What model is it? Inspiron?

Holy sh**, almost had an error message posting this!!!!

Even better for about the same price:

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7200 (2.00GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 667 MHz FSB)

OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vistaâ„¢ Home Premium

MEMORY 1GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz (2 Dimms)

HARD DRIVE Speed: 80GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)

OPTICAL DRIVE 8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability

VIDEO CARD 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 7400 TurboCache™

WARRANTY AND SERVICE 1Yr In-Home Service, Parts + Labor - Next Business Day

ACCIDENT AND THEFT PROTECTION 1Yr LoJack for Laptops Theft Protection (CD Shipped Separately)

ENVIRONMENTAL OPTIONS Free Recycling Kit

BATTERY OPTIONS 85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

WIRELESS CARDS Intel PRO/Wireless 3945a/g

PRODUCTIVITY Microsoft Works 8. DOES NOT INCLUDE MS WORD

ANTI-VIRUS & SECURITY McAfee SecurityCenter with anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall, 15-months

Network Card Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem

Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 7.0

Labels Windows Vistaâ„¢ Premium

Processor Branding Intel Centrino Core Duo Processor

Total Price for this Dell XPS M1210 laptop: $1,174!!!!!!

Wow, great deal!!!!!!!! It's super small too.

I'm coming from a Compaq. Well, it's Compaq/HP so I'm assuming they're both the same quality. I haven't had any luck with my laptop since it broke down awhile ago. Power related issue and motherboard problems. I took it in to the shop about three different times for hardware related problems. Not looking good from my point of view.

I could probably get the price lower on the M1210 if I bump down the CPU speed, which I might do. The graphics card is pretty good, but I think it's too much for me. I can't control that one because it comes with the XPS M1210 as a standard package. So Im lookng at about $1,000 for everything. The screen size is 12.1" and comes with a 9 cell batter which I love. It also has a 5-in-1 memory card reader too which is a must have for me.

I was also reading the reviews for this laptop. The only complaint about it is how thick it is compared to the other thinner laptops, but that's hardly anything to complain about. It's the fastest ultra small laptop and it's dirt cheap at Dell right now. I may bump up the RAM just for the hell of it. It even has a one year free lowjack system, lol, for laptops?!?! Never seen that before but I'll give it a try. Not like anyone's going to take it.

Performance wise, this is the best as seen here:

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/dell-xps-m1210/4505-3121_7-31899187.html

More review on it:

http://www.laptopmag.com/Review/Dell-XPS-M1210.htm
http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,127252-page,1-c,notebooks/article.html
http://techreport.com/reviews/2007q1/dell-xps-m1210/index.x?pg=1

Woooooo, coming from these two websites (especially high praises from laptopmag.com and techreport.com), I feel this is going to be an excellent purchase!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom