memory timings

r_moore04

Daemon Poster
when i first built my pc i got 1GB ddr2 pc5300, 2x 512mb, and it looks like the timings on it was 5-5-5, but the other week i got another gig 2x 512mb, the same make, but on cpuz it says 4-4-4 for the new gig, so i because i it said 4-4-4 i went into my bios and changed the timings, it was on 4-4-4-14-19, now its on 4-4-4-12-16, is that good for the mem i have got in ?

ddr2 pc5300 667mhz 2gb 4x 512mb

mem1234-1.jpg

It could have been either CPUz taking the fastest one or maybe you RAM set itself to that timing. Have you OCed?

no i havnt OCed, in the bios it was set 2 auto, but i looked on cpuz and the timing table thats on there, and set it to 266mhz, so the only thing i have really changed is the tras and trc, is it better at that or should i set it 2 auto and then it will be higher

the lower the better. Though the change you made is really minor, you won't see the difference anywhere. Maybe a few points more on some tests, but it won't really make any real difference.

what would you change it to then to see a difference?

Timings are touch and go. For serious enthusiasts mainly. Your not going to see as much of a improvment with lower timings. I think when I went was doing 4,4,4,12 vs 4,4,3,5 I noticed about 250/mb memory improvment. It lowers the actual latency as well. The biggest thing you can change is overclock your CPU and actual ram frequencys.

For example my G.skill @ 4,4,3,5 with a E6600 @ 2400Mhz had memory read around 7,300mb/s @ 800mhz and with the same E6600 overclocked @ 3600Mhz the memory read increased to 10,228mb/s @ 800Mhz same timings and ram frequency just a higher cpu clockspeed. I think my Latency acutally dropped from like 57ns @ stock to 51.8ns @3600Mhz.

I have not messed around with the actual frequencys to see what kind of increase I can expect at say 900Mhz yet.

Download Everest or Sandra benchmarking apps. There a synthetic app that can test memory read/memory write/memory copy/ and memory latency. Just make mynute adjustments and run a benchmark and see what the preformance increase or decrease is. Also be sure to run Prime95 to test the stability of the new settings. It may boot up but if you run a blend test in Prime95 and it starts giving errors the timings are bad or the frequency is to high. You can try bumping the ram voltage to increase stability just be careful you can fry your ram.

I explained the actual terms in some thread but i'm not looking for it now. My advice work on your ram frequencys and overclock your cpu your not going to get a huge impact in timings. I don't recommend messing around with these until you have a good understanding of what they do and how they effect your PC.

Back
Top Bottom