Need Suggestions...

BrynF_UK

Fully Optimized
I have an 3 year old eMachines PC, and it wasn't working i.e. the system would turn on but a message would come up saying "No Signal" on the monitor - but the HDD light was on and the system fans running.

Now it has a new CPU (Intel Celeron like the old one) and a new hard drive (IDE) but there is still the same error message.

Any ideas what the problem might be?

Many Thanks

Bryn

P.S. there really needs to be a place in the forum to discuss computer problems since this is after all a computer forum :D

There is... its the Computer and Software part... haha.

Anyway, it could be your video card, but I'm guessing its probably onboard on the motherboard, but we'll throw this idea away for a moment.

Check leads, checking that they are going into the right place, and are tightly fit.

Try a different monitor. Borrow one if you have to.

If it works, its your monitor causing all the issues. If it doesn't, it could be your motherboard/graphics card (depending whats running it)

I hope this helps

-Moved this thread-

oh i didnt realise that there was a section in general discussion sorry :)

ok leads are all secure, PSU is fine and all the voltages are within limits...the GPU is the onboard type but i did consider buying a cheap PCI card just to test it..ive tried with sevral monitors both LCD and CRT incase it was an anolouge output and not digital...also the motherboard was replaced recently by the repair shop that the PC was taken to originally BUT it was a second hand motherboard so ? next to that...also both montiors worked fine before i used them to test it so thats not a cause either..

Thanks for your suggestions so far though

Bryn

i had the same problem with an eMachines that was about 2 years old. all the fans and hdds were working fine, but the monitor wasnt getting a connection.

i tried using 3 graphics cards (onboard, Radeon X1300 and Radeon X1650) nothing worked.

well, turns out the motherboard was fried, so i just bought a new computer and upgraded the hell out of it.

long story short, i think that the new motherboard you got installed went bad

Yeah, sounds like the motherboard to me since the graphics chip is onboard.
Though, by the sounds of it, its not the graphics causing the problem, but something else making it not even get to the stage of graphic initiation.

well im glad that all the stuff i got for it was from eBay now :D but i guess im just throwing good money after bad here :) but is there any chance that it is the RAM that isnt fucnitoning properly? Thing is the RAM may be the old one that was in before just a thought..

well im glad that all the stuff i got for it was from eBay now :D but i guess im just throwing good money after bad here :) but is there any chance that it is the RAM that isnt fucnitoning properly? Thing is the RAM may be the old one that was in before just a thought..

Yes. RAM is always the first thing I check when I don't get a signal to my moniter. If RAM does not fix it, and you are on on-board video, your motherboard is fried.

oh, yeah, when my other computer wasn't working, an eMachine tech support guy told me to remove the RAM and then try to turn the computer on. if you get a beep code, its RAM. if nothing happens, the motherboard is fried.

Back
Top Bottom