Timeouts

no its him being an a**hole and making a bot that will make 255+ connections on the same IP so that the system overloads.

EDIT: hell just unban him and give him a second chance may be worth it :rolleyes: but then again then all of his attempts to become a member again would have suceded and that wouldnt be good

I might get absolutely flamed for this, but I see a VERY drastic solution. We could completely change the forums. Even the cheap free forums that I have been on get no DBE or anything of that kind. I know it will be painful to let go of the forum we love, but we can build another one up just like this, only without all the errors. I mean, most of the frequently posting members will move to a different forum with no problem, and we could just link this domain a different site.

Sorry if I sounded stupid..

Ha! You must be joking, took four years to get where we are today..

A denial-of-service attack (DoS attack) is an attempt to make a computer resource unavailable to its intended users. Although the means to, motives for and targets of a DoS attack may vary, it generally comprises the concerted, malevolent efforts of a person or persons to prevent an Internet site or service from functioning efficiently or at all, temporarily or indefinitely.

The thing is, if you delete all the posts, you can say goodbye to CF's PageRank. From a business perspective, PR is the most important thing. Getting new members to view ads...I doubt David will want to lose that. All the guides and such that have been posted on here in the past 4 years just disappearing would be a killer.

On the other hand, I know if some members lost their precious post count and rep, they would be very unhappy, and possibly leave.

I'd be happy if we started fresh and had a new DB. It seems to me this forum is more of a business than a community. I don't know about others here, but I'd be happier if I were part of a community where business, PR and advertising weren't top priority.
Members aren't listened to, Db errors occur pretty much daily, and we have more downtime than any forum I've ever been on, I once ran a free PHPBB forum that was overtaken with bots and spam that never had as much downtime as this forum. I think it should be about members, not about pagerank, post count, or anything. Out of the posts we have here, how many are in locked threads, or threads or are posts that should be deleted because they say "."? If you deleted all of those, you'd probably see a difference. Why we save them is beyond me because they're useless. I like this forum, but I'm closer than ever to leaving because the members aren't listened to, the DB errors and instability of this forum are worse than even the cheapo freebie forums I've been to. How hard is it to just listen to the members and do something about the DB? heck, get someone with a lot of experience to help you out, as long as these dang errors are gone because I and a lot of other people are fed up.

Yeah, I did it. I spoke my mind. I'll probably get banned for it, but sometimes things have to be said whether everyone likes it or not.

why would you get banned?

also when a forum of computer geeks(no offensive to anyone who thinks differently) and the power of google :p cant solve a vB problem then it probably something in the code or some other unchangeable thing.

ALSO ive said this countless times David works HARD on solving the problems he has been in contact with vB for ages to no avail YET

@mods
add a poll with all the best suggestions
A. thelis start a whole new forum
B. Kage's "format" vB
C. probably others i cant think of

I'd be happy if we started fresh and had a new DB. It seems to me this forum is more of a business than a community. I don't know about others here, but I'd be happier if I were part of a community where business, PR and advertising weren't top priority.
Members aren't listened to, Db errors occur pretty much daily, and we have more downtime than any forum I've ever been on, I once ran a free PHPBB forum that was overtaken with bots and spam that never had as much downtime as this forum. I think it should be about members, not about pagerank, post count, or anything. Out of the posts we have here, how many are in locked threads, or threads or are posts that should be deleted because they say "."? If you deleted all of those, you'd probably see a difference. Why we save them is beyond me because they're useless. I like this forum, but I'm closer than ever to leaving because the members aren't listened to, the DB errors and instability of this forum are worse than even the cheapo freebie forums I've been to. How hard is it to just listen to the members and do something about the DB? heck, get someone with a lot of experience to help you out, as long as these dang errors are gone because I and a lot of other people are fed up.

Yeah, I did it. I spoke my mind. I'll probably get banned for it, but sometimes things have to be said whether everyone likes it or not.
dude trust me on this if you get banned i am sure people wont just sit there and do nothing about this .I for ne wont anyway . As for what you said i agree something needs doing .forget about pr for just one minutes and think about the people who can make or break this forum .The members

David needs to get back on to vb and tell them it is unnaceptable . you pay for the software you expect support whhen things go wrong

Back
Top Bottom