Hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah. i mean have a cheap internal one then an external for all your files. so if the internal hdd with the os fails, then you have all your files already saved on the external ready to go

IT's not a bad idea. All you have to worry is that the external fails.

Glory to Flash disks.

Mine have always been internal, I've watched this guy, in seconds he's in the case, 3 or 4 minutes later tho old one's out, & the new one's in, closes the case, done, I timed him with a stop watch; 7 minutes 11 seconds.

Yeah it isnt a hard job to do at all . and yeah max it should take is 10 minutes

I agree with lhuser, get a cheap USB flash drive. You can get then for pretty cheap, I'm I'm pretty sure a 1 or 2 GB one will hold all your important files.

Hard drives are not supposed to make clicking noises. As soon as you hear that, it means it's probably going to die soon. Plan on replacing it in the next week or so.

Brook, back everything up as soon as possible, at least the important things you don't want to loose. Check if your current dying hard drive is still under warrenty, if it is, RMA it and then when it comes back, ask your friend to install it. This way you don't have to pay for a new hard drive. But if it isn't under warrenty, just go with what you were planning to do and get a new one.

I haven't seen it mentioned yet so I'll address it. The noise may, or may not get louder as things progress. Eventually Windows will not boot anymore.

As for getting data off of a clicking hard drive, the only time you can guarantee you will be able to get at your data, is when it still boots into windows. After that, it's luck of the draw.

Unless S.M.A.R.T (assuming you have it enabled) is reporting the drive as bad you've got a little time, there is no need to rush replacing it.

Some drives are noisier than others and ticking doesn't necessarily mean a drive is going to fail.

The real portent is more of a grinding noise.

SMART is old, and can't detrect the starts of clicking. But, it did however found out that mty drive corrupted itself for...well...powering troubles.

Brook, back everything up as soon as possible, at least the important things you don't want to loose. Check if your current dying hard drive is still under warrenty, if it is, RMA it and then when it comes back, ask your friend to install it. This way you don't have to pay for a new hard drive. But if it isn't under warrenty, just go with what you were planning to do and get a new one.
There is no direct proof that it is dying, he only said it could be, but I will do as you & others have recommended, thanks:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom