Buying New Ram, Does it need to be the same Voltages as my other ram?

well some times im wrong but i would think so because if u dont no the Voltages ur Mobo supports then get the same voltage. Also most RAMs have to b the same as the other stick
I mean having a 1.8 Volts on one stick that the Mobo supports and having another stick at 2.4 volts that the mobo doesn't support then u will have some problems
Also how much RAM do u have cuz u can have it in dual slot mode and get a bit more performance.

It's not the voltage you need to worry about even though matching the voltage of your current memory would be a good thing. What you really need to look for are the same speed and timings. For example, DDR2 800 with 5-5-5-12 timings. :D

well im running in dual channel now, but i want to pick up another gb stick. I know what voltages my motherbaord can run, but I guess what im asking is can a motherboard run one stick at 1.8 and another at 2.0 or is that impossible.

Yea Ive been making sure im looking at the timings but I just was unsure on the voltages.

well im running in dual channel now, but i want to pick up another gb stick. I know what voltages my motherbaord can run, but I guess what im asking is can a motherboard run one stick at 1.8 and another at 2.0 or is that impossible.

Yea Ive been making sure im looking at the timings but I just was unsure on the voltages.

Your going to run into problems. If you have 2 sticks that run at 1.8 volts and then the ram you buy should run 2.1 volts its either going to auto default all of them to 1.8 volts which could cause the 2.1 volt ram to not get enough voltage and cause errors. Or if you set it at 2.1 volts it could fry the ram rated to run at 1.8 volts.

Hence the problem of my mother's PC giving errors on a 1GB stick, while mine says that there's none. Interesting.

no...everything defaults to 1.8V when you first install it. That's because it's the JEDEC standard. You need to manually set the voltage when you go into the BIOS.

no...everything defaults to 1.8V when you first install it. That's because it's the JEDEC standard. You need to manually set the voltage when you go into the BIOS.

Is it possible to set each dimm slots voltage though? If he's getting ram that is supposed to run say 2.2V and the ram he has runs 1.8V isn't that going to mess up one or the other by under volting one or overvolting the other?

Back
Top Bottom