Intel Duo or Quad

chuudat

Beta member
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6700 2.66GHz 4MB Cache 1066MHz FSB

or

Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz 8MB Cache 1066MHz FSB

Is it worth paying significantly more for the Quad? Does the performance differance/improvement over the Duo justify the higher price tag?

Well, if I were you, I would wait for the (possible) price cuts July 27th. Rumors are the Quad drops significantly then. As for the higher price tag, well, it depends on your usage. Are you going to be gaming on it? Video editing? Playing tetris with a gameboy emulator?

I say get the Quad core. Everyone that has it compliments how fast they perform in games, encoding, rendering, etc. There's more than a $200 difference between the Core 2 Duo and the Core 2 Quad, but if you can afford it, get the Core 2 Quad.

the main purpose is gaming. However, i want a processor that will last for a while (3-4yrs) in terms of power for the next gen games.

and as for my computer upgrading experience, i only have experience in upgrading GPU and memory. If i get the Core 2 Duo for now, is it possible that i can upgrade to a Quad in the future? And also, is upgrading processor as easy as upgrading GPU and memory? Thanks

Absolutely. Most newer Intel supported motherboards allow you to run Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quad CPUs so make sure your motherboard have the proper chipsets to support the quad core CPU.

When it comes to gaming I don't see why Quad core can't be better or just as good as the Dual core. They both perform the same in gaming, if not more for the quad core. But the Core 2 Quad can do MUCH more than Core 2 Duo.

Yeah, but seriously, hold on and wait until the pricecuts

Check this out:
Inte.jpg

yeah, i guess u can go for the Quad core, because as even newer processors come out, u would want to get them but they are highly priced. So in my opinion, if its not really that urgent, i would wait for a bit longer, maybe wait for new processors or wait for the prices to come down.

Just remember that the CPU is one of the most important component of your entire PC. Getting a strong CPU determines whether your PC exceed your expectations or the other way around. Never in between.

Hell, I take serious consideration with a CPU over a motherboard anyday. If I were to build a machine now, that quad core looks delicious. If that's a bit high right now, that E6700 is also top notch too for a dual core. The E6400 and the E6600 are so-so, if budget is a problem--but I always say spend that extra money for that special CPU. Remember, CPU is the core of your PC system. Good CPU = happy user *huge smile*

First of all, the only reason you would need a quad core processor would be for the future. My uncle has one, and it doesn't feel any faster than a dual core. So, If you can afford it, go for it. Just to let you know, thelis told me that there should be a price drop... I beleive July 27th? Not sure if he already posted on that... didn't read through every post.

Back
Top Bottom