Dual questions

-There are single core CPUs (traditional CPUs-Pentium 4, Athlon 64).
-Most popular and mainstream now are the multicore CPUs which branch out to dual core CPU and quad core CPU (with the latter being the most expensive type). ie, Pentium D, Athlon 64 X2, Intel Core Duo, Intel Core 2 Duo, Intel Core 2 Quad

AMD changed it's line of the Socket 939 Athlon 64 (once the #1 selling CPU and the best at its time), to the newer Socket AM2 Athlon 64 and Athlon 64 X2 (dual core setup) which I'm sorry to say, doesn't stack too well against Intel's new powerhouse--Intel Core 2 Duo (their version of the dual core CPU). Intel also has a Core 2 Quad CPU which has 4 cores, but that's pretty extreme and very, very high priced.

The Core runs so well and literally smokes AMD in virtually every single category, which is why they are the number one selling CPU at this stage. I firmly believe that it is the Conroe core that Intel introduced, that killed AMD. This chip is HIGHLY overclockable and rips through applications. But if you know AMD, they'll come up with something to combat Intel. It's an ongoing thing.....

If you really want to get a good CPU as of this moment, look for the Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 or higher. And if you really multitask running intense applications, the quad cores will just blow you away.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail
Special savings w/ combo deal, limited time offer
3x Winner of Customer Choice Award - CPUs / Processors (I voted for this one before before anybody took notice. Everyone was all about the E6400, but I was into the E6600)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115003

True that. I hate saying because I WAS an amd fanboy. but now I want an Intel lol.

you betrayed AMD how dare YOU!!:p

only reason C2D are good is because they OC well. my cpu is almost on par with a stock E6600. the higher end AMD's are better than stock C2D's. i dont see why people cant comprehend that. if your not OCing that AMD is the best choice.

Which tends to be most people on here (who likes to OC). CPU prices have been dropping and wow, I have never seen them this low!!!! I feel like I should go out and get me an Extreme CPU. Even the quad cores are cheap to my surprise. I haven't looked at hardware in a long time and this happens. Technology and pricing change so much.

you betrayed AMD how dare YOU!!:p

only reason C2D are good is because they OC well. my cpu is almost on par with a stock E6600. the higher end AMD's are better than stock C2D's. i dont see why people cant comprehend that. if your not OCing that AMD is the best choice.

Uhh...thats completey wrong. Compare the X6800 to the FX-62 and the X6800 always wins. Stock speeds by the way. If you understand how the Core architecture works, then you'll see why it runs circles around the aged K8 core.

It's not just about OC. It's about CPC (Clocks Per Cycle), cache size, FSB rating, and how well the drivers of the CPU and the CPU architecture is well done.

The C3 1GHZ apparantly, can be compared to a PIII 500.
Just to get you interested.

To the original poster, the speed is per core. And, your FX-74 is for socket F. Be warned that you're going to spend big bucks for the motherboard as well.
Dual Socket F is nice...but if Intel could put their acts together and look for a Dual LGA775, you could have more power from C2Ds and C2Qs.

lhuser, Dual LGA775 is not possible. The power cicuity was not designed to support two processors. If you're looking for dual sockets in Intel's platform look towards the LGA771 section. And for the processors...look for some clovertowns ;)

Those powerful Xeons eh? :p Those sure does have a beat. I've never heard of their power circuity. I thought it all relied on the chipset. It's like the Dual Socket 370's. Oh well, I learnt something new today!

no no, you need a different circuitry to power another socket. And chipsets have to be compatible with how many physical processors there are too. LGA775 chipsets are only designed to work with LGA775, and only support one physical cpu package. Same goes for LGA771.

Back
Top Bottom