My CPU has gotten slower... and a problem with installing my new HDD

kamiccolo22

Solid State Member
Well I'm no complete noob but I'm far from an expert and I've got a few problems.

Firstly, my AMD2500+ which is like 1.7ghz has now slowed down to 1.1ghz :confused: I don't remember changing it and so the question is how do I change it back and what could I possibly have done without my conscious effort to change it... so I can avoid doing this in the future!

Secondly, I bought a 400gig IDE HDD quite a while ago and its just been laying inside my case gathering dust and so I've finally made the effort in asking someone (you awesome people!) to help me in installing it. Well the problem is that when I try to install Windows XP on the HDD it only allows me to install a 128Gb partition... this also happened to my other HDD that I'm using atm which is a 200Gb HDD but it only allowed me to install 128Gb.

So heres what I've got in use atm:
HDD - 40Gb, 128Gb (supposed to be 200Gb!)
Motherboard - some kinda yellow one which i remember correctly is of the brand "Soltek"
RAM - 256mb DDR400
Graphics Card - Radeon 9200 128mb

Yeah I know my computer is pretty old (haven't updated for about 2 yrs) but I don't play games anymore so I haven't really needed to upgrade it or buy a new one. Hope you guys studied history so you can help me with my ancient computer problems ;) . If you need more info just ask!

Yay 1st post :cool: , sorry for the length... but thanks if u read it!

Welcome!!!

Well...it's possible that your computer is just slowing it down to conserve power when the processor isn't under load.

As for the hard drive problem, make sure you're formatting it in NTFS, not FAT. FAT has various limitations that make NTFS a better choice. You should get a choice when you go to format it.

your bios can only read 128GB but just install windows on the 400 with a partion of about 15-25gigs. then download a large HDD enabler and windows will be able to see the rest of your HDD. then you can make the rest of the HDD one partion. you could also merge them if you want but there is a risk to it. to merge partions download pariton magic(google it)

as for the cpu speed you might have AMD Cool N' Quiet enabled in your bios. this reduces the clock speed of your cpu when its not in full use to reduce heat which will allow the fans to run at a lower RPM meaning less noise. and in the long run lower heat means a longer CPU life :D

Windows XP has a drive limitation that allows it to only "see" 128GB of a large drive. To get around that limitation during the OS installation, you can slipstream XP and SP1 (or SP2) together into one installation CD using a program called AutoStreamer. This program is the easiest one I've ever used to do the slipstream. It walks you through the entire process so no guesswork is involved.

As for your CPU speed, you will need to go into the BIOS and set it to the proper speed. On boot up, press the delete key to enter the BIOS. You'll probabaly find the settings under the advanced header.

Yep, what atomic said. I dont think it can see a partition that big tho lol:)

Windows XP has a drive limitation that allows it to only "see" 128GB of a large drive. To get around that limitation during the OS installation, you can slipstream XP and SP1 together into one installation CD using a program called AutoStreamer. This program is the easiest one I've ever used to do the slipstream. It walks you through the entire process so no guesswork is involved.

As for your CPU speed, you will need to go into the BIOS and set it to the proper speed. On boot up, press the delete key to enter the BIOS. You'll probabaly find the settings under the advanced header.

if your going to do that than slipstream SP2 on there not SP1

@raffaz with the new fix it can only see is something like 1.2TB. sooner or later someone is going to come on here and say WTF windows 2013 can only see 1.2TB of my 4TB disk where my space go?:D

Im not on about that Rudster, im referring to the 128GB limitation with pre SP1 XP. Atomic made a typo and had it over 1000GB, thats why he has edited his post.

Yeah that limitation has been fixed in SP2. The original release and SP1 didn't. If that doesn't do, I know the Capacity limitation jumper exists in the 32GB and the 100's. Look on the top of your drive and look if there isn't a capacity limitation jumper where it says on the drive.

Thanks for all the help fellas! Yeh I haven't checked the thread because I've been dreading this moment...scared I might screw something up...

I'll try out your tips and tell ya the results!

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom