Running a Server.

WindowsXP

In Runtime
As foolish as this may sound I am Interested in running a Server. I am 17 by the way. Is Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition a good program to start out with ?

Well I didn't know the latest version was. I thought it was 2003 since thats the only one I saw at the computer store. But thanks.

As foolish as this may sound I am Interested in running a Server. I am 17 by the way. Is Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition a good program to start out with ?

Depends on what kind of server you want to run

Well I didn't know the latest version was. I thought it was 2003 since thats the only one I saw at the computer store. But thanks.

2003 is the latest stable version. 2008 is beta and not for production enviroments.

My servers run Server 2003 or Sever 2000. At work, everything is 2003.

At home, older game servers are Windows 2000, as well as a DNS / DCHP server.

In about 2 weeks time, this will be what im running (Did a major hardware overhaul)

1x DNS / DCHP Windows 2000 Server
2x Low end gaming servers (CS, CoD, RTCW) Windows 2000 server
2x More modern gaming servers (CSS, UT2004) Windows 2003 Standard Server

Theirs also a VMWARE Server that runs a various amount of test enviroments (Sometimes public), for example the upcoming test is running an unpatched XP SP2 copy on the internet. Last test was a Windows 2003 domain controller, and comprimising it's password database.

Ontop of that, theirs a full network backbone, with a Smoothwall (Linux) Firewall, managed switches, wifi AP's, etc. I also have my desktop and laptop computers (Not servers, XP PRO) and some odd computer i dont know what to do with. Also have a dedicated computer for Ubuntu 7.04.

Back
Top Bottom