What would cause my comp to always just lock up at random times?

Are you getting any beeps when it locks up? if so check your ram like Raffaz mentioned, run a program like CPU COOL for a constant time like 1-2 hours just to see if you computer temp does spike at all, also take your side case off and clean out any dust inside your tower being careful not to scratch your motherboard circuits, clean your CPU fan and heatsinc as well, if after all that its still playing up then try running your Anti virus and spyware programs to see if you have any nasties, if no try checking your graphics card.

yea this happens to mine too, and the mouse doesnt move, none of the keyboard keys work and everything just basically freezes to a halt. mostly happens when i have google earth and IE7 open at the same time...for some reason...

yea this happens to mine too, and the mouse doesnt move, none of the keyboard keys work and everything just basically freezes to a halt. mostly happens when i have google earth and IE7 open at the same time...for some reason...

do you have vista also?

It just seemed to start doing this once i upgraded.

If this only started when you upgraded to Vista then you have a program confliction somewhere did you run the advisory tool before upgrading to see if any f your programs conflicted with Vista?

I have a 700watt PSU

I also have a 6pin power connector to my GPU

It did this before I upgraded to my 8800

I'll download rivatuner and try that out. I noticed that when i open my case and turn my comp on that my fan isn't on for my Processor. But I guess it turns on when it gets hot...

Unless AMD boards are different your CPU fan should turn on instantly. As soon as you turn the computer on that fan should start running. Its very possible that the heatsink on the fan is keeping it operable at Idol but as soon as you start putting it under stress it heats up and locks up. Run a stress test and see how hot it gets and if it sky rockets turn it off and buy a new fan.

Back
Top Bottom