i am having a very annoying problem with administrative options

dellxpsm1210

Solid State Member
background information: i am running windows vista on my recently purchased dell xps m1210. i dont usually connect to the internet only because i forgot my wireless network password (i just use an ethernet cable) so sometimes im behind on updates. recently, itunes got an upgrade so i decided to get it.

problem: when i install it/overwrite my older version, my computer says i cannot because administrative options are preventing it. so im like wtf?! i tried to uninstall it and reinstall the newer version in an attempt to outsmart the computer. nope. again, it says that i need administrative permission or something like that. why wont it let me uninstall certain programs? in this case, itunes? last time i checked, im the only user, and im the administrator.

someone told me to try the right-click, and run as administrator option. well, the installation process started up and halfway into the installation, i encountered a different problem: it says that the following applications are using files that need to be updated by this installer. close these applications and click retry to continue.

windows explorer (process id: blah blah)

can someone please help me out? i am getting very pissed off.

wow, sounds awesome. Usually if explorer is preventing a program from running, or updating or whatever, you can close it in the task manager, and when your through, open it back up again (new task, explorer.exe). Hope that works.

thanks it worked.

im a huge worry wart, and when i hit end process, it prompted me with one of those warnings that said something like unsaved data will be erased or something like that, i dont remember the exact words. should i be worrying about that? because i did hit end process like you told me so.

and i also like to just know things and why things go wrong; im just a ***** like that. but why did it ask me to close something like windows explorer during an installation?

and another thing, is it a bug that windows vista requires some administrative option to be set to install certain programs even if youre logged in as the administrator? and about uninstalling certain programs, like i said, i had difficulty uninstalling itunes because it required admin settings. with the process you gave to me above (task manager, etc), i was able to bypass the problem. but for future reference, how do i get passed the restricted installation ive encountered with itunes?

sorry for being so picky.
thanks for listening, i really appreciate it.

when i hit end process, it prompted me with one of those warnings that said something like unsaved data will be erased or something like that, i dont remember the exact words. should i be worrying about that?

Don't worry about this, be because your ending the process if you have anything important (e.g a word document with heaps of stuff on) and you havent save it its going to end the process so its just promting you to save if there is anything to save really.

and another thing, is it a bug that windows vista requires some administrative option to be set to install certain programs even if youre logged in as the administrator? and about uninstalling certain programs, like i said, i had difficulty uninstalling itunes because it required admin settings. with the process you gave to me above (task manager, etc), i was able to bypass the problem. but for future reference, how do i get passed the restricted installation ive encountered with itunes?

You won't find the Administrator account in the User Accounts Control Panel. But the MMC-based Computer Management section of the Administrative Tools Control Panel does give you access to the Administrator account. By default, the account is disabled, but you can enable it there.

Hope this helps :)

Back
Top Bottom