What would cause my comp to always just lock up at random times?

clandestinex337

In Runtime
So yea everyone once in a while.. Eaither once a day or maybe once every other day sometimes more.. My comp decides to just lock up and freeze to where I have to turn it off then turn it back on... Does anyone know what could cause this?

Specs

Windows Vista (if that helps any hehe)
8800GTS
3800+X2 Dual Core
2gig ram
DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert Socket 939

Thanks

You have a way better system than i do and i run Vista with little to no problems. But what are you doing when it locks up? I know i have problems when i am playing a game and vista sidebar and its gadgets are trying to do stuff while there are other processes doing stuff also. It uses too much RAM and CPU power which does that to me sometimes.

What power is the PSU your using? Are you getting any errors when it freezes? Are there any errors in event viewer? And have you tried running memtest to check the RAM?

What power is the PSU your using? Are you getting any errors when it freezes? Are there any errors in event viewer? And have you tried running memtest to check the RAM?

What do you mean what power is the PSU?

I'm not getting any errors when it freezes. But I do get the blue screen on death once in a while but not often.

I have never ran that program.

Hmmm locking up at random times? Clearly, your specs are ok for running Vista because you have a way better system than mine and I'm running the same OS.

It could be that your CPU gets too hot while you're playing games (because you mentioned it tends to lockup while in gameplay). I like to run Nvidia's GPU monitor and have a CPU utility monitor running in the background while you're playing the game. A few minutes into it, just Alt+Tab out of the game to check up on the temps.

My guess is your GPU is overheating during gameplay. Download ATI tool and minimize it to your system tray. After a bit of gameplay pop out of your game into windows and see what your temps are. You can also download rivatuner and increase your fanspeed to 100% to help cool it down. This may not be the problem for sure. What is your PSU (power supply unit rated at because you'll want at least a 550watt psu to run that 8 series card.

Also do you have the 6pin molex plug in your graphic card. If not thats probally the reason its locking up. Its not getting enough power.

After you check those out if that doesn't solve it start monitoring your cpu. Make sure thats not overheating. Also run memtest86 for a few hrs to see if you have any errors in your ram that may be causing it.

You can find that ati tool and riva tuner download links from nexus sticky on GPU overclocking in this section of the forum.

I'd say its your gpu overheating or underpowered most likely, get that fan turned up and give it a go and check that psu.

My guess is your GPU is overheating during gameplay. Download ATI tool and minimize it to your system tray. After a bit of gameplay pop out of your game into windows and see what your temps are. You can also download rivatuner and increase your fanspeed to 100% to help cool it down. This may not be the problem for sure. What is your PSU (power supply unit rated at because you'll want at least a 550watt psu to run that 8 series card.

Also do you have the 6pin molex plug in your graphic card. If not thats probally the reason its locking up. Its not getting enough power.

After you check those out if that doesn't solve it start monitoring your cpu. Make sure thats not overheating. Also run memtest86 for a few hrs to see if you have any errors in your ram that may be causing it.

You can find that ati tool and riva tuner download links from nexus sticky on GPU overclocking in this section of the forum.

I'd say its your gpu overheating or underpowered most likely, get that fan turned up and give it a go and check that psu.

I have a 700watt PSU

I also have a 6pin power connector to my GPU

It did this before I upgraded to my 8800

I'll download rivatuner and try that out. I noticed that when i open my case and turn my comp on that my fan isn't on for my Processor. But I guess it turns on when it gets hot...

Back
Top Bottom