PC Build Problem

emoric

Baseband Member
Hello,

I was wondering is some of you guy could help me out. I have salvaged some old computer parts in hopes of making myself another spare computer. I have set up a Gigabyte GA-6VTXE-A mobo with a Pentium 3. The motherboard does NOT have on board video so I have found a couple of fairly old agp and pci video cards. My question is... how am I going to set up my pc if I can't get my monitor going? Its obvious that I don't have the drivers for these cards installed because I would need to be able to SEE my screen in order to do that. The monitor seems like it turns off and one with the computer but why is there nothing on the screen? Any ideas?

What are my options? Is there any way to set up a generic driver just to get me going? If so... how if I can't see what I'm doing? What are my other options? Please let me know some ideas!

Thank you
- Jesse

All the drivers you need will be on your windows installation disc. Even if the correct driver isnt there, it will boot up using the standard VGA drivers, and then you would just go online and get the correct ones.:)

Well ok, maybe drivers aren't my problem. When I turn the pc on, I get nothing on the screen. The monitor will go on for a second and then just go back to sleep. I don't understand what is going on with it. I have tried 4 different cards. 2 of them pci and the other agp. Any ideas what could be conflicting it?

Sounds more like a hardware problem to me then. Your drivers dont kick in until the OS loads. Can you test the cards on another mobo? It could be a problem with that. What happens if you remove the RAM, does it stay on then? Any beeps from the computer? Is it just the monitor that goes off, or does the pc power down aswell?

I have 2 sticks of ram in there. I have tried taking one and other out, swapping them places, ect. I don't hear any beeps from it, I was curious to see if any would come from it. I think I'll double check the front panel speaker connector, ha. As far as power going off, thats a negative. I just get a blank screen.

----
No beep from the speaker.
Getting very frustrating...

:/

Ok, so your getting no beep from the speaker when the RAM is removed, and the speaker is connected and working properly. Have you tried resetting the CMOS from the mobo jumper? If that doesnt sort it then you may have a dead mobo or CPU. You could also try another working PSU to confirm its not a problem with that aswell.

Back
Top Bottom