When to upgrade?

Vipul1

In Runtime
Well, the only question i ask myself is when is the right time to upgrade even though i have a decent computer. In general if we look at the computing era, most people are goin for the E6600 rather than the Quad cores and the problem is, if we wait for the prices to come down, there would probably be a new CPU out and you would feel like going for that NEW CPU rather than the last generation CPU. So i would just need opinions on how to choose the right time to upgrade

the right time to upgrade would be whenever you want to. As you said if you wait for prices to drop new stuff is going to come out and the old stuff won't be that great anymore.

So there really isn't any perfect time to upgrade, new stuff keeps coming all the time. So just get the new hardware when you need it.

The simple answer to this is, you upgrade when your computer isn't running your applications as well as you need it to.

Yeah i say upgrade when the computer dosent run what you want how you want

The simple answer to this is, you upgrade when your computer isn't running your applications as well as you need it to.

thats exactly right like for my first build as i didnt really know alot i got a pentium D 820 with 2 GB 533 MHz RAM and i now know that for like 40 quid more i cud have got a C2D with 667Mhz RAM and i have had the money to upgrade my comp but the truth is although its nothing special compared to the rigs i have seen in here it runs like a dream for me.

i just cant seem to slow it down so although i wud much prefer a C2D with 800 mhz RAM i just dnt see the point at the mo.

You really upgrade as you see fit, different people have different demands and you really act accordingly. People purchasing the E6600 over the QXseries cores isn't a matter of price, more of impracticableness in using a Quad Core when the majority of programs available to the mass market can't even efficiently use two cores.

i dont mean go out and buy a whole new comp . i would advise trying to seee if you can add more ram more hard drive or a better processor before building a whole new machine

Well if you must upgrade now, do it after July 22nd, prices on most Core 2 CPU's are dropping by up to 50%. The Q6600 G0 stepping will be out and be priced at ~$266 USD. But really as other people said, upgrade when you feel you need it.

Well if you must upgrade now, do it after July 22nd, prices on most Core 2 CPU's are dropping by up to 50%. The Q6600 G0 stepping will be out and be priced at ~$266 USD. But really as other people said, upgrade when you feel you need it.

Please provide a source on that statement. I can't see quad cores dropping to that price for at least another year. Unless you meant to say the E6600 which did drop to $200. Upsets me paid $320 for mine Grrr.... But that happens when you buy the latest products you'll pay more.

As many have said it is basically a personal preference when to upgrade. My last PC was rather old running on dated technology. It had RdRam really pricey to upgrade and the motherboard was a 4xAGP. Old socket etc I decided to upgrade because after installing new programs it showed some lag. I don't like lag I like to click and be were I want instantly. Now I could have upgraded that processor and the other parts but it was a smarter idea to ditch the old tech motherboard and start from scratch with a new build.

Back
Top Bottom